Is there any technique to use Sidechain except sidechain compressor?

leesrm156

Recently I've got an interest with the way use sidechain.

I think that side chain compressor techniques are used in a tone of musics, but I never heard of other techniques with sidechain.

Is there any techniques with sidechain that makes music more variable?

Revising: I used the word 'Sidechain compressor' as only used in Kick drum and Bass. If there are other way to use this compressing techniques, plz let me know :D

If you put an eq in the side chain, you can manipulate how the compressor reacts to different frequency ranges.

For example, a de-esser is just a compressor with an eq in the sidechain that takes out all the low end and pumps up frequencies around 5k.

I don't use side chain ducking and such very often, but I'm getting more and more to the point I want compression with a good side chain eq. Some of my favorite comps have some eq (HP / LP), which is ok a lot of times, but in the end pretty limited.
Maybe an example. Klaghelm DC8C .
I wanted to zero in on a a particularly hot low mid ramge on a bass. Being able to bump that range up- is not te same as HP'ing the low range off.
Now I could have used a MB, but fact is the multi bands don't have the unique response shapes the Klang' have that makes it so versital.

For the record- a frikin great comp dirt cheap BTW. (we are, so lucky these days
DC8C Overview

Last edited:
A 4 channels multiband is essentially 4 separate compressors with eqs in the sidechain that eq out everything but the band of frequencies they are set to affect.

A 4 channels multiband is essentially 4 separate compressors with eqs in the sidechain that eq out everything but the band of frequencies they are set to affect.

A 4 band multi band compressor would have internally a 4 way crossover that each out is fed to individual compressors.

Yes... what I said was "it is essentially...."

A crossover is a device that separates a signal into separate bands by using high and low pass filters...like an eq.

Back