Is SM57 a good (enough) mic for live electric guitar recording in small room?

A 57 is "warm"? Yeah, maybe if you put it in the oven.

Haha! "Warm" I guess is a term that is open for interpretation when describing sound. I did a side by side comparison of a 57 vs. the Pyle knock-off. The 57 sounded "better." "Warm" was the best fitting adjective I could find.

Here's a recording I did in my converted garage/junk room/workshop/closet/studio. All the electric guitars are recorded with a 57 about 10" in front of a vox ac4tv 10" tube amp. It goes into the preamp on a Saffire Pro14. The only room treatment is a bunch of books, storage, tools, some useless foam behind the monitor speakers and a few bags of old blue jeans behind the 57. I'd say well over 75% of the recordings I've worked on at studios over the last 40 years that used amps were mic'd up with 57s.
https://soundcloud.com/mike-dunbar/juliet

Love it, cool sounds, cool song, nice job!

Mic position is super important. Angled at the speaker or head on, distance from the speaker, pointed at the center of the speaker or farther out, - these things make a huge difference. After you get your SM57 you are going to make some crappy recordings and it won't be your gear's fault.
I'm planning on recording a lot of stuf and saving pictures of the set-ups with the recording. All though I'm also considering to tell my guitar players to figure out how to place them for the sound they want, saves me a lot of time :D.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Yes they are used in the studio all the time.
I did what you want to do for a while. With minimal mics.
I used a AKG Perception 420 or even a 220 to get the entire kit. and one works good for that.
And then I used an Audix D6 in the kick. That's two mics for your whole drum kit.
And a 57 or Sennheiser 609 on the guitar. Both very similar mics.
The AKG Perception 420 is very reasonably priced and is probably the most versatile mic I've used.

But eventually you will want to make better and better recordings and I ended up getting the Audix DP7 kit.

Back