Is shorter tape better?

werewolf831

I've always read that shorter tape lengths provide better quality thatn longer tape lengths. Something about the tape thread itself being more durable I guess, I don't know. Anyway, I was wondering if this applies to Adat tapes as well.
Do 40 minute tapes offer better quality for recording than 60 minute tapes?
Thanks,
werewolf

What it is, is it's easier on your tape transport. It doesn't have to move as much mass which will make it last longer.

What is a tape transport?
Also, you said it would make something last longer. Where you referring to the tape, or something about the adat itself?

Im not sure about increasing the life of your tapes but the less work your machine has to do the less chance of it breaking down, or it will slow the process at least.
I use the 42 min tapes and haven't ever had a problem with a tape wearing out or anything.

Never,ever had a prob using pre-formatted 42 or 60 min tapes!
But on the same hand, I treated my ADAT's like they were my own FLESH and BLOOD!!:cool:

A 60 minute cassette tape is better than say a 120 minute cassette because the 60 minute cassette tape is thicker than a 120 minute cassette tape, so it doesn't stretch as fast. The 120 minute cassette tape in thinner so it will fit on the reel. I would think DAT tape would be the same.

So then, Blue Bear, am which one is better for your machine? I guess I'm thinking the 40 minute tapes.

Another question. Is it possible to copy a 60 minute Adat tape (not a filled tape, of course) to a 40 minute tape, or would there be some offset in timing or whatever because of the different tape lengths.

DJL said:
A 60 minute cassette tape is better than say a 120 minute cassette because the 60 minute cassette tape is thicker than a 120 minute cassette tape, so it doesn't stretch as fast. The 120 minute cassette tape in thinner so it will fit on the reel. I would think DAT tape would be the same.

?????:confused: :confused: :confused: ??????

I though the subject was about ADAT tapes!!:confused:

At one time C120 and C180 cassette tape was thinner. There was a sound quality drop. The last TDK SA tapes I bought seemed to be very thin tape, even though they were C60s and c90s. I think TDK just made the thin tape for every tape cassette length, to save themselves money. I remember Fuji FX tapes had a different recording bias, from the C60 to the C90.

Back