Is it wrong to mix using a large PA system?

I have a quite large 'PA' system in my control room. I use it sometimes when tracking drums (in another room) so that the rest of the band feels more comfortable. Like they are at rehearsal. Loud.

I would never attempt to mix with that system. I wouldn't even use it as a means to check a mix. The stereo in my van is much more reliable than the studio PA system.

I've got to sideline on the volume part... There's a reason why so many mix ~85dBSPL (the point where human hearing is most 'flat'ish). I'm not saying to mix there and stay there -- But if you're mixing at ~70dBSPL, there are things you just aren't hearing -- And I'm not referring to the spectral imbalance.

It's not rare at all for me to get projects in that are absolutely riddled with clocking errors (etc.) that are obvious to the ear around 85dBSPL -- and at much lower levels once they go through the garden here -- that are essentially inaudible at lower levels. Ornamental percussives that might sound perfectly fine as far (as volume balance is concerned) at low SPL might be screaming hot at higher levels -- And once balanced at higher levels still sound fine at lower levels.

If it sounds good at 70dBSPL *and* it sounds good at 95dBSPL, it'll probably sound fine at any volume. But if it sounds good at either of those extremes, it might sound terrible at the other.

^^^^

What Massive Master said. I'm not slavish to the 85dB(SPL) but most of the time I try to stick pretty close to that.

Heck. You can a a free iPhone app that will give you a reasonably accurate "A" weighted reading--not like a few thousand dollars worth of calibrated microphones and electronics but within a dB or two in my experience.

Back