Is it normal for a M-audio Sputnik?

patioplum

Hello everyone:

I've been using my new M-audio sputnik for a few days. I've recently found that when I record vocals in higher pitch (falsetto or high notes), the sound recorded is a bit saturated even when nothing in my input audio change is clipping. It is a nice colour for voice... but I don't expect to have it in every case.... Is this colouring normal for a tube-condenser mic?

Hello everyone:

I've been using my new M-audio sputnik for a few days. I've recently found that when I record vocals in higher pitch (falsetto or high notes), the sound recorded is a bit saturated even when nothing in my input audio change is clipping. It is a nice colour for voice... but I don't expect to have it in every case.... Is this colouring normal for a tube-condenser mic?

This..M-Audio Sputnik
does not suggest any great "attitude" in the microphone so it is possible that you have a sample with a slightly duff valve?

It should never be forgotten that the makers of the first capacitor (condenser) microphones only had valves and I am sure they designed them for the greatest possible fidelity that the then technology could manage! It is only in this digital age that some people equate "tubes, iron and tape" with "warmf" and other silly characteristics. It is entirely possible to make a transformer pre amp and valved microphone that is as clean as the driven!

If "I" were not completely happy with a new product that had cost me nearly 1/2 a K I would look to a replacement.

Dave.

I have an M-Audio Sputnic and the high end has never sounded any more "colored" than the lows or mids. I found I had to tame the highs by turning the 7K down by 3db on my LA610.
It's a super clean. somewhat bright mic to me, but has less sibilance compared to my Rode NTK.
If it's new then I assume the tube is factory. You have to solder the tube in so I haven't read any posts about people changing the tube (although I suspect it happens here and there).
What preamp or interface are you using? Are you noticing it while recording or during playback? Are you applying any plugins if it's playback?

It all depends on the singer - you usually push more air on loud notes in chest voice.
Falsetto is usually not as powerful as it eminates more in your head/throat than your chest.

WIKI - the ultimate source of knowledge on the internet (lol)

The term falsetto is most often used in the context of singing to refer to a type of vocal phonation that enables the singer to sing notes beyond the vocal range of the normal or modal voice.[1] The falsetto voice—with its characteristic breathy[2][3] flute-like sound relatively free of overtones[4][5]—is more limited than its modal counterpart in both dynamic variation and tone quality.[6] However, William Vennard points out that while most people sound comparatively "breathy" or "hooty" when using falsetto production, there are in rarer cases individuals who have a much stronger falsetto sound production which has more "ring" to it.[7]

I know the higher I sing, the louder I get. Thought that was normal. Not necessarily falsetto, just higher notes, but I also need more air to get my "head voice" to be stable. Was singing along to some Petra years ago and actually hurt my wife's ears in the car we were in...:laughings: Think the bruise is still there.

Back