Interfaces: Custom monitor mixes in line outputs?

brand0nized

I'm looking to upgrade my interface for more inputs so I can do bigger live recordings. (Don't think 2 is enough...)

I'm sure that I can send the inputs to different Aux channels and route those to the different line outputs for custom monitor mixes right? That means, to my understanding, that the signal would be routing through the computer (via USB for now..), so would there be a bad deal of latency in the outputs?

I'm also looking at a MOTU Ultralite mk3, which has a built in DSP mixer and effects, so it can internally route custom monitor mixes controlled by computer software. Ideally, I would want this, but I would pay way more money and sacrifice about 6 inputs.

What do y'all think? Can I effectively run custom monitor mixes out of a DAW and USB 2.0 interface?

Roland Studio Capture

The above has pretty comprehensive monitoring I believe and you can buy a second unit and double the track count.
I believe that review criticizes the latency? If so SoS later published an apology as they had not seen a menu option that fixed it (was a bit obscure at that!)

Then I believe the "big" Focusrite USB AIs have good monitoring and routing with their Mix Control software?
My 8i6 has it but I have not had time to explore it at all!

Then! There is RME but ££££££s again!

Dave.

Considering that 90% of the time we say "don't buy a mixer" people are going to hate me but this might be the time to consider getting one.

It would have to be more than a super cheapie, but if you could find a decent second hand one with the right number of inputs, direct outs on each channel and enough pre fade auxes for your monitor mixes that would be an excellent solution. I'd be looking at some of the older Soundcraft or Allen and Heath models.

Couple that (and the direct outs) with an interface with sufficient line level inputs and it could work nicely.

I'm using Sonar X2, but I'm sure I can create aux sends and output that bus to line outs like on an analog mixer. I'm just worried about latency with interfaces that don't come with routing software. I'm considering the Behringer FCA1616, which has 16 outs!

Back