[Indie] - In your Dreams

Hi

This is a fun little project between me and my Brother in law. It's a 90's Indie influenced track (because thats when we were young). I would love to hear what you think of it.

Thanks

David

Good mix. Fun song.
Left acoustic guitar is a bit boxy, right one sounds great. Are these two different guitars?
Love some whistle in a tune if it's done well---this is.
Not sure I like the reverb soaked vocal or not. It's kinda cool and it grows on you as the song plays on, but the verb could be a little less dark on the tails. Maybe start with a bit less and build it in as the song progresses.
Nice fade!

I can see that this track is really oriented by this acoustic guitar, but I think maybe it is a little too much proeminent. I'd try to lower just a tiny bit. The vocals are really cool and the rest of the mix is really fine for me.

Woah, some kind of phasing on the acoustic guitar? The kick sounds pretty cardboardy in my headphones, I wonder if a cut round 400hz would help? I might bring down the reverb a bit on the vocals. The levels on things sound good to me and it's a good song/performances (the important part!)

The mix is acceptable. Kick is a little loud on computer speakers.

My big problem with it is the acoustic sounds copied and pasted. Did you just play it 1 bar and then copy/paste that bar throughout? It really sounds that way in terms of dynamics and that strum that you let hang sounding exactly the same every time. As an arrangement, it doesn't really go anywhere...no build up or tension or anything.

eerrr....the reverb on the vocals is a great idea and i get what you're going for w/ it. It's similar to a fleet foxes tune in that way. i'm just not sure what it is about this particular verb. i'd try another..what kind is it? you can go big with it, in my opinion, but some adjustments to it will help. maybe more pre-delay to get some separation before it all comes washing in. And i'd look at EQ'ing that tail too.

nice job otherwise.

it suffers from midrange boxyness, everything does, not just the acoustic guitar, EQ should help, I like the songwriting and also the reverb, the snare is very weak though, just too dark, same with the kick, it's clashing with the bass guitar.

Hi

Great feedback as always. The "drums" are actually a Cajon with a Pandeiro as a kick, so not a conventional drum sound at all. This might explain the boxy comments (as a Cajon is actually a box).

Yes there is a fair bit of cheating login on, the whole track is a bunch of Ableton clips. We can work very fast this way, and we need to due to being dads with young kids!

The vocal reverb is the plate reverb in Isotope Nectar. I usually keep vocals very dry, so this is a departure for me. But actually I like it a lot.

Dave

Yes there is a fair bit of cheating login on

So did you play the guitar part once and copy/paste it? Be honest. I mean it sounds that way......and stood out immediately.

The lack of dynamics in that guitar is really holding the track back. I think you should play the guitar part and repost this.

I think this sounds pretty cool. An unconventional mix in some respects to be sure, but I personally love that you soaked the vocals in verb like this. I agree that the verb itself could be EQ'd differently and that there is boxiness going on, but the amount of verb and the idea you were going for is right on as far as I'm concerned.

I thought the guitar part sounded ok, and even if copied and pasted or something, I didn't find that to be a problem myself. It's a fun arrangement with a nice melody and good vocals...just a bunch of things mix-wise I'd tweak, most of which have been mentioned.

Back