Increasing TL of an existing room

DrJosh

Hello!

I'm planning to improve the TL of my basement jam room but I have a few questions. I gather that some information must be supplied in order to get answers, so crack open a(nother) beer and let me get started. =) Or, just skip to the questions at the end of this post. Here's a somewhat freaky panoramic shot of the room interior in it's current unisolated, untreated state:

pano_small.jpg

It's roughly 13Lx8Wx7.5H (feet). I'd like to improve the TL without altering the outside of the room. Here's a pic of the jam room from outside:

outside2.jpg

As you can see the whole basement is finished so I'd prefer to not demo the exterior if at all possible.

My original plan was to gut the inside and build up mass between the joists above and the studs on the two walls which separate the room from the rest of the basement (the other two walls cover concrete foundation walls). Then separately frame an interior room and ceiling, apply two sheets of drywall, and do the whole sealed double door thing. I'm leaving out some details here but it's basically all in Rod's book.

However, there are three things that will make this difficult: The first is the fact that the two existing doors in the room are located so close to the corners. When the inside wall goes in and interior dimensions shrink these doors will move even closer to the corners. Entrance and closet doors, respectively:

entrance.jpg
closet_door.jpg

The second problem is that there's a soffit hiding a rectangular HVAC duct (sorry don't know the correct terminology) running along the top of one of the walls, so as far as I can tell that wall is only framed up to the bottom of the duct. It would be hard to build up mass here since the framing doesn't extend up to the joists--nothing to which additional mass could attach. Here's a pic of the soffit from outside the room, from which you can get an idea of the problem:

soffit.jpg

The final problem is that this aforementioned soffitted (?) rectangular duct feeds two smaller round ducts that run over the jam room in bays between the joists to feed the room above. It seems either 1) useless to attach mass between the joists when there's a hole in the mass layer; or 2) a pain to soundproof and seal the duct. Here's a shot of the duct:

duct.jpg

These three problems have lead me to consider abandoning the outer mass layer and the independently framed inner walls/ceiling; rather just do 7/8" furring channels on the existing framing/joists with RSIC clips, two layers of 5/8" DW sandwhiching copious green glue, and a single plusdoor (that's a superdoor w/out the lead sheet =P, works out to a little more than the mass/sqft of the wall assembly) sealed up tight.

Some info about the room:
The deck above is 3/4" ply with Pergo flooring
It's wood framed 16" o.c.
Joists are 14" mounted 19" o.c. (weird)
Flexible ducting supplies HVAC to the room.

I measured my playing at 114 dB (C weighting). Outside the room it's 90 dB. In the room above it's 80 dB.

My Goals:
-I'd like to get the sound down to like 50 dB in the room above, so that's an additional 30 dB of TL.
-I'd like to do it for something like $3K.

My questions:
-Are there ways to circumvent the three problems I listed above and do a true, fully isolated room within a room?
-Failing that, is 30+ dB TL possible using RSIC clips and the construction I mentioned above?
-Are there other options to consider?

Ok sorry about the core dump. Please let me know if I need to provide more info, write more intelligibly, etc. Thanks for your time and Happy Thanksgiving!

-Failing that, is 30+ dB TL possible using RSIC clips and the construction I mentioned above?
I would think so, given that EVERY single connection/flanking path is construction DETAILED in drawings, and once finished, construction is monitored to maintain the integrety of the interior shell. However, I'm certainly no expert in TL construction, and whoever does the TL plans, inspects the premisis prior to planning. If this is your domain, then you would be responsible for any deviation and decoupling/TL failure. NO ONE can actually tell you every single detail. But I think its possible. The two main concerns I see in the pics is isolating the existing ductwork and seperating the existing HVAC system/ducting from whatever new system/ductwork that will supply the basement. The other is the doors, and without knoing the actual construction, or having a plan to look at, it would be impossible to suggest a solution or alternatives.
fitZ

Thanks for looking through my post and for your response. Seems like the best thing to do is demo the interior and get a more complete picture of the existing structure before considering more construction details...
Josh

Hello RejectionNinja. The book is by Rod Gervais. He is a member here and used to post fairly regularly. However, he is probably very busy as he is an engineer for a large company with huge projects. His book is probably the best on the market. Rod has some very impressive commercial stuidos under his belt, and translates his insight to Home Studio builders. Gve it a read, you won't be sorry.

You can catch some of his posts here as well

http://forum.studiotips.com/viewforum.phpf=1&sid=78897945945508ad2ffa277ce40b5572

And you can get some good insight into isolation/acoustics there as well

http://forum.studiotips.com/index.php

fitz:)

Back