In Conversation with Carl Martin (video)

BDJohnston

In conversation with Soren Jongberg, CEO of Carl Martin. Soren discusses some Carl Martin history and what pedal put them on the map, as well as recent gear builds and some future releases. There's a demo for the Ampster pre-amp pedal at the end of our talk. https://www.carlmartin.com/

In conversation with Soren Jongberg, CEO of Carl Martin. Soren discusses some Carl Martin history and what pedal put them on the map, as well as recent gear builds and some future releases. There's a demo for the Ampster pre-amp pedal at the end of our talk. https://www.carlmartin.com/

No real comment - except he seems to try too hard to get to the point that his gear is played 'by professionals' - when 95% of his sales are to amateurs.

Right - but what does it matter if Professionals play his pedals when thousands of amateurs are buying them.
OK, let's say that you have a pedal company, and no pros are playing your gear. Then suddenly you have a handful of pros playing your gear. Does that mean nothing in regard to marketing and getting your gear noticed, so that you can sell more gear... so that your company continues to thrive and you can continue to provide jobs?

No idea where you're coming from. Is there any gear builders out there NOT making reference to pros playing their gear? Lounsberry Pedals, a small builder, has more people who are not pros buying his gear than pros. Unbelievable, but it's true. He does mention the pros, and has one made for a pro bassist, Mo Bass. Weird, huh? Hopefully, you get sarcasm.

Did you know that more non-professional car drivers drive sport cars than professional drivers? Did you know more non-models use any particular brand of hairspray than models you see in commercials or magazines?

Seriously, what you're saying is so obvious and it means nothing. It's like you had to bring up a point to demonstrate intelligence or an issue with Carl Martin, lol. And obviously, you don't own a company and understand MARKETING. Finally, if any company is crappy, do you think professionals would be using it, unless they were bought off. If you have any information on Carl Martin buying off sell-out musicians, let me know. Otherwise, start a business and refrain from blowing your own horn; let's see how far you get.

Yeah, the majority of people buying Fender gear are amateurs. Yet, when the CEO knew the Beatles were filming Get Back (may have even had inside info on the rooftop), he sent tons of gear to them (including Harrison’s famous Tele), and he hoped they would play with them. They did, and that’s something Fender can brag about. Now, owning a massive share of the amateur market is also something to brag about. But if I had a product and don’t own a big share of the market, I would focus my marketing on professionals’ use of my product. If it’s good enough for them, it’s certainly good enough for you, the amateur.

Back