Illuminain'i Shit - ((working title))((Original))

BCF1

ReMixed this and still isn't capturing everything I'm after just yet but would appriciate any thoughts on anything and everything if your willing.

I hope you can hang on until the end as I am fairly sure there will be a few turns along the way that will be unexpected and hopefully enjoyable or entertaining
as oppossed to boring expected and irritating.

Everything to be desired in a folk,pop,metal,r&b,disco,thrash,punk,classical track

https://www.reverbnation.com/wristlock/song/24943655-illuminaint-shit

Thanks
BCF1

Interesting arrangement and song. Good playing throughout. I could relate to the first part more than the thrash part that followed, just my own musical predilections. The mix in that first part was effective, with the clean acoustic guitars hard panned and the vocal singing from some place deep and dark in the middle. Obviously your intent wasn't to have the vocal front and center, but I wouldn't mind hearing the lyric more clearly. The fast part that follows is too much on the upper midrange, scratchy without a lot of bottom. I don't necessarily want to hear more of the machine gun kicks, but I would like to hear the bass better. Again, I thought the vocals could be more prominent. There is a part toward the end where you have a guitar solo going on over the vocal, and is quite a bit more prominent than the vocal.

I'd forgotten it was you who did the Edmund Fitzgerald until I saw it on your site. As different in genre as this one is, I'd make some of the same suggestions about vocal clarity. Not everybody agrees, but for me when there is a human voice signing, I instinctively want to hear what it is saying.

tHAT MIDRANGEINESS is the main thing I've been fighting, is there a way to combat it ??? I've had no luck with EQ really. I recorded the guitars with that tone not real purpossfully. I/m thinking I have to retrack the guitars maybe mix new with the midrangey ones or scrap em. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
It seems I consistantly do things and hear things the same way , be it the room or my ears and mind but the qritoe points are reoccurring. Thanks

sounds like EZmix and hi/lo passed to death ...

point of hi/lo passing is to remove unneeded frequencies on individual tracks so they don't interfere with other instruments in the mix *if they need it* to improve clarity (get rid of "mud")

compression is used to tighten stuff up and improve clarity (or smash the tits outta something)

the mix as is levels wise aint so bad,bit splashy ...

re think what your monitoring with,whatever your using is lying to you

musics a refreshing change,enjoyed listening thanks :)

edit: just listened to sand in your crack !!! that track kicks ass :D MUYA! (now i think your using a portastudio)

I don't record guitars with a lot of gain very often anymore, so that upper midrange harshness is not a problem I encounter much myself. Just the opposite, my guitar tones tend to be dark out of the box. My philosophy about recording guitars is pretty simple-minded. I try to get a good sound out of the amp, then find a mic and placement that will capture it. What kind of gear are you using? Did you hear that harshness in the room when you recorded? It's also possible that something you are doing in the mix stage is amplifying those harsh frequencies. When you apply compression across your mix bus, sometimes funny things happen. Sounds you didn't hear before get pushed to the front.

Over in the Guitar and Bass forum there is a thread called The New Tone Thread. They're deep into the big amp crunch sound. You could ask for advice, although the head cat got bounced from the forum recently. Don't know if it's temporary or permanent.

Maybe it's the drummer and snare fanatic in me. But the snare could be a tat louder and maybe some more high frequencies, I want snare to sound like they try to bite your ears off.

sounds like EZmix and hi/lo passed to death ...

point of hi/lo passing is to remove unneeded frequencies on individual tracks so they don't interfere with other instruments in the mix *if they need it* to improve clarity (get rid of "mud")

compression is used to tighten stuff up and improve clarity (or smash the tits outta something)

the mix as is levels wise aint so bad,bit splashy ...

re think what your monitoring with,whatever your using is lying to you

musics a refreshing change,enjoyed listening thanks :)

edit: just listened to sand in your crack !!! that track kicks ass :D MUYA! (now i think your using a portastudio)

THANK YOU !!!!

Damn I wrote a detailed response to all you had to say apparently it took me to long when I went to post it I had to log in again and it all disappeared :(

I am amazed and impressed that you could hear what you heard regarding ezmix and hi/lo pass death squeezes. the acustic and bass tracks........... you nailed it !!

The heavy guitars were a different combination of things and the solos another and this applies to Sand in your crack also. Some tracks were recorded before I had an interface per se via korg pandoras box (stock prest) direct into the blue line in of the onboard sound chip (whatever in may be) Then others (the mid heavy ones) were recorded mesa dual rec - sm57 miced 4x12 cab (bad settings bad mic placement) solos were stage rack rig mesa 2x12 cab sm57 all into REAPER. I dont have studio or nf monitors unfortunatly I bounce between old school big yamaha home stereo speakers a pair of bose 301's which i think are a home entertainment system design and AKG headphones for now. With the attitude I could make it work with experience, probably due to my lack of experience on this side of the board so to speak.

I think Sand in your crack is probably my best sounding effrort at this point of my short recording history and I had/have high hopes for this track to step it up a notch from there. Even if I have to retrack everything !! Thanks for the Imput really appreciate it BCF1

I don't record guitars with a lot of gain very often anymore, so that upper midrange harshness is not a problem I encounter much myself. Just the opposite, my guitar tones tend to be dark out of the box. My philosophy about recording guitars is pretty simple-minded. I try to get a good sound out of the amp, then find a mic and placement that will capture it. What kind of gear are you using? Did you hear that harshness in the room when you recorded? It's also possible that something you are doing in the mix stage is amplifying those harsh frequencies. When you apply compression across your mix bus, sometimes funny things happen. Sounds you didn't hear before get pushed to the front.

Over in the Guitar and Bass forum there is a thread called The New Tone Thread. They're deep into the big amp crunch sound. You could ask for advice, although the head cat got bounced from the forum recently. Don't know if it's temporary or permanent.

As I mentioned in the above response the mid heavy guitars were recorded bad settings bad mic placement. the 4x12 cab was sitting right next to the computer at the time there was no way I could hear what I was getting to disk and just went with what sounded "decent" in the room. I was actually going to test things out and adjust as needed but as is common for me once I get my Axe in hand I get lost in it quickly and without someone or something to reel me in I play. I had a quick listen to the rythms which lead to the switching cabs for the solos and told myself I'd be able to "fix" the harsh mids in the mix. Again I re-learn you can't polish a turd !!

I will definitely check out the "New tone thread" as you suggested THank you

You have some great tones in your most recent post by the way :)

Maybe it's the drummer and snare fanatic in me. But the snare could be a tat louder and maybe some more high frequencies, I want snare to sound like they try to bite your ears off.

I like your thinking and definitely agree !! I am a BIG drum fan and will accomplish this in the upcomming remix of this track !!
(note positive attitude) :)

Thanks for listening and commenting !!! Much appreciated

BCF1

Vocal and its effects are kind of cool. Not usually my sort of thing, but it worked well in this mix.

I like the doubled guitar sound.

The bass is quite boomy - has some low end frequency that is jumping out. It's a little too forward in the mix - maybe because of the boominess.

As I mentioned in the above response the mid heavy guitars were recorded bad settings bad mic placement. the 4x12 cab was sitting right next to the computer at the time there was no way I could hear what I was getting to disk and just went with what sounded "decent" in the room. I was actually going to test things out and adjust as needed but as is common for me once I get my Axe in hand I get lost in it quickly and without someone or something to reel me in I play. I had a quick listen to the rythms which lead to the switching cabs for the solos and told myself I'd be able to "fix" the harsh mids in the mix. Again I re-learn you can't polish a turd !!

I will definitely check out the "New tone thread" as you suggested THank you

You have some great tones in your most recent post by the way :)

Wow, if you're close-miking a 4x12, you'll fit right in on the New Tone Thread! To me it seems like overkill, as you're only going to mic one of those speakers anyway.

I run the mic and guitar cables under the door and out to an amp in the next room. I put a tuner pedal with a buffer in-between the guitar and amp to reduce the tone loss from a long guitar cable run. It's the only way for me. I couldn't possibly hear what I'm recording over the roar of an amp in the same room.

Even if that weren't a factor, I'm done subjecting my ears to loud amps. Hoping to preserve what hearing I have left.

Thanks for the compliment.

Seems kind of dark, feels muffled. Can't really put my finger on what it is but maybe it's just captured or rendered at a lower quality?

Amazing performance, everyone I'm listening to tonight is really killing it. . .

Yeah, my big critique is that it's dark and mid-rangey. The "Faith no More"-esque background vocals near the end would probably actually be a better default for you to use to add some air to the track.

The first part dragged a little. I know that's more of a songwriting critique, but I'd consider shortening that part a little to retain interest. (Or at least moving the octave jump earlier)

Back