Ignite Me

BroKen_H

Re-member
Got #2 finished this afternoon since I had a day off.
Give a listen, leave a message, accept my thanks :)

Last edited:
I'm glad you posted an unmastered version. I wish more would. It can be hard to tell which problems are in the mix and which are down to the mastering. There's a fair amount of sludge in those rhythm guitars. It contributes some muddiness to your mix. I guess it's less a problem during the intro and the breaks, but more so during your vocal which could cut through more clearly. You sound a bit like Ozzy. Personally, I would lower the guitars, raise the drums and vocals. It was hard to tell what's going on with the bass, as the guitars seem to have an excess of low end that makes it hard to hear. The lead guitar during the intro and the break wasn't adding much to the song, IMO. It seemed to be running scales for the most part.

Thanks Ray. The thing sounded killer before I added the vocals. Cue the bad singing jokes! Started posting unmastered on my last song, and thought it was a good idea. Keeps me honest in that my mixes have to have no clipping before I send that bit out, so if I don't touch the faders when I push up the mastering I know the mix is still solid underneath.
You're right though. When I added the vocals, I needed to carve a bit of space for them. I'll take a look at an automated EQ. Too bad you can't sidechain EQ...You know, I'll bet Reason can. Gonna look into that. Run voltage from the vocals into an automation so the louder the vocal the more cut the rest of the mix gets. Cool idea!
Anyway, scales is about as good as my guitar playing gets. I was hoping the tone I used might bring it forward a bit even if the playing was simple. I'd love for someone to offer to take those solos on. Several have asked me to do piano work (and I've volunteered for a couple others), but so far, Easlern was the only one who volunteered some acoustic work for one of my songs. Good job, too! Maybe I should do some aggressive asking...I think this song could use some nice solos in those spots, but it'll take me a lot of work to patch something together.
I'll clean up the bass. One of my more droll bass lines, but the focus is on the guitar line, which of course makes me have them dominate and here we go loopy loo.
Get the Ozzy comment a lot...six hours of mixing yesterday left me thinking I pushed the drums too far, and yet, apparently they aren't far enough. I'll need to look at the balance of the kit while I'm at it.
Thanks again for the listen!

Hey Ken, this seems pretty different, I really like it. I think the vocals work really well actually, maybe it's the hard rock backing. Reminds me of ozzy in black sabbath. Mixwise, I'm listening on headphones but it seems like there might be a lot going on in the low mids, maybe try dipping the guitars a little around 200-500 and see if that feels better? Nothing else really pops out at me, sounds good to me.

Edit: heh sorry, didn't see Ray already posted basically the same thing. Well maybe there's confirmation. . .

Okay, posted a new mix at the bottom of the original post.
Fixed the balance between the cymbals and the rest of the kit. Turned the whole kit up about 3dB. Turned the vocals up about 1 and made some space in the rest of the mix. Ran the high pass on the guitar busses up to 180Hz.
I think the strings fit in better now as well...playing with my new string thing (not a synth or a patch, but a full on ensemble that you piece together with different expressions and different tenors and timbres. Kind of fun. You basically tell 4 violinists how to play each note you want played. It can sound outrageously real. (I haven't reached that proficiency yet. :rolleyes:

Back