If You Were Mine.........

......this is a new recording of a soul song that I've written and produced that's actually gonna' be picked for an album (Indie Project) I use a very eclectic array of gear to track this including two midied Tascam 788 digitals, NCH Mixpad Pro for final mixes, TC Electronics MX 100, Alesis Midiverb, Early Berhinger Compressor and a Roland VE-20 for wrangling effects and on this track, AKG Perception 220 mics for vocals and Shure SM 57 Mics for guitar and other miscellaneous task, Roland< Korg and Ensoniq Synths and a lexicon interface to get everything into my HP computer. I would love to get some comments/help from some of the more experienced recordist here on the resulting track and in particular the slightly wooly sound (even after compression) on some of the louder dynamics on the vocals.

Thanking you in advance for all the comments and all the help

Archie M/Musically Mr M

If U Were Mine by Musically Mr M | Free Listening on SoundCloud

btw, there is a youtube video for this song if anyone is interested YouTube

The noise floor seems really high overall. It seems like the ambient sound of rooms, reflections, etc is being really exacerbated by your 'verbs/delays. Some judicious gating/editing prior to compressors and timing effects might give you a lot more room to work in the mix.

I'm hearing a bit of distortion on the loud portions. I'd recommend turning everything down and starting with a quieter mix. You can always master it louder. You can't get rid of clipping later.

I like the song, sounds very smooth. Great voice!
Except for the snare which is a little too harsh and snappy for my taste.

Some panning would help spread out the frequencies from adding all in the front. I'm guessing it's a bunch of mid-frequency (1-3kHz?) tones adding together. If you're adding post-recording reverb too you might try turning down a bit. Good track though! Feels like an 80s classic.

Back