Ibanez Edge versus Floyd Rose

mharr552000

So I'm looking for a new guitar. I've never played a newer Ibanez with the Edge tremelo. It struck me as odd that you just stick the bar in the little hole and it stays there. It just flops around too. The sales guy said I didn't want to lock it parallel to the strings. I said, "Oh, but I do." I can think of numerous stunts where a locked bar is a necessity. He also couldn't tell me why it stayed in the hole. A magnet seems like the logical explaination. Okay, so he was a bit of a dumbass, but he was a nice guy.
Now with a Floyd (Original or licensed) you screw the bar into the bridge then use the collar to lock that bastard where you want it or just let it flop around.
Since a few Ibanez models are on my short list, are there any tips or observations regarding the Ibanez whammy that might come in handy. Also any pros and cons of the Edge versus Floyd question?

You can set a floyd to lock the bar in position. At least the one I have (original 80s floyd with finetuners)

Yeha a floyd lets you lock it, and edge doesnt. My wilkinson has no lock too... i don't mind at all. I think that it is the clearance that keeps it in place. It creates a seal so that friction, and air pressure holds it in place(i think). Either way, it doesn't bug me(when I even use the bar).

Simon

cephus said:
You can set a floyd to lock the bar in position. At least the one I have (original 80s floyd with finetuners)

My floyd doesn't have a lock collar, Just a threaded hole and bar.

Of course, there's always teflon tape. It's make a strat arm stiff.

I have been fondling my resurrected kramer for a couple weeks now. I got a strat with trem out and started noodling and absolutely hate the wiggle stick on it. It's way too thin. I really do like the thicker arm on the floyd.

The Ibanez floyds are great, man. I actually prefer them over original. The RG1570 Prestige model, I recently purchased has a newer style floyd, and the balls don't have to be cut off, which is cool to me. You can stiffen the play on the bar with replacable bushings, sorta locks it, keeps it stiff. I dig that for the warbly effect ala/ Jeff Beck and Vai.

Back