I am lost!!! Please help me to mix this song.

ZoelVazra

Tracks include:
1. Tabla
2. Dholak
3. Digital Drum
3. Shakers
5. Duff
6. 2 guitars
7. Bass
8. Sarangi
9. Key- Strings
10. Male vocal
11. Female harmony vocal

I am lost and I dont know how this mix sound.
Any suggestion to make this better will be highly appreciated.
Thank you so much in advance.

Attachments

• kanchi.mp3
    5.9 MB · Views: 25
Hi.

I'm listening on headphones and it all seems nicely mixed here. Everything has it's own space and seems to sit well within the mix. This is a very pleasant tune, as well as professional sounding.

I am not familiar with the genre, but my personal opinion would be the female vocals are slightly loud. It sounds damn good to me otherwise. Great performances for sure!

The usual recommendation you find around these parts is to first ensure that your core rhythm instruments and your vocals match each other well.
Then you gradually layer in the other instruments, making sure that your core and vocals never get lost.

So in this case, I would start with the Tabla, dholak, digi-drum, and duff. Get those sounding as good as they can as a mix - maybe put in a little bit of the shaker, but shaker is more of a noise instrument than a core rhythm.
Then, add the bass. You want the bass and the lowest-pitched percussion to be very in sync with each other. Possibly using side-chain compression to make the duff (or maybe the dholak) and the bass sound like one instrument.
Then, add the vocals and get them well balanced with the core.

Then, start bringing up other instruments. Make sure you never lose your core, and you'll have a good mix.

Where you are now sounds pretty good. But I'm sure you're more familiar with the genre than most of us here and can hear the weak spots we can't.

Great Job, maybe less bass and more panning

I like the song too. I agree that the female vocal, especially at the beginning was a little loud, it kind of blasted my ears and I had to turn my speakers down a little.

If I were mixing it, I would try to keep the bass from being so boomy. Probably pull the low cut frequency up another 20 to 40 Hz, and maybe compress it a little more.

All the layers are very nice, but I might pan things further out to the sides because to my ear, the center was cluttered.

My 2 cents, thanks for listening.

Back