hummm - if i hear this noise again i will scream

one

Hi

As you can tell i am having a few feedback problems when i "link" my system up.

Firstly i am a novice, and my setup is..

PC 500mhz (intel)
Yamaha SW1000G
Beringer MX1604a (12 chans)

I have from my LR output on my SW1000G going to a STEREO LINE IN on my mixing desk. (2 x Minijack --> 2 x 1/4 Jacks)

On my mixing desk from ALT OUTPUT to the INPUT on my SW1000G (2 x 1/4 Jacks going to 1 x Stereo Minijack)

Whenever i connect all the above i get a really annoying loud "hmmmmmmm" noise which obviously stops me recording!

If i remove either end of connections (ie on the mixing desk in or the mixing desk out) the noise goes away.

So i can record to my PC if the output is disconnected, i just can't if both are connected! (the noise is far to "noisey")

Oh - from my MAIN OUTPUT on my mixing desk i have that to my monitors.

How can i get rid of that "humm"? any ideas would be great :)

If i have missed off any important information please don't hesitate to ask me for it!

Thanks in advance!!

Oliver Cookson

Possibly, you either have a bad cable, or a ground loop. Make sure both the console and the computer are plugged into the same outlet. Eliminate the bad cable possibility by trying a different cable.

Ed

I had a simular problem and discovered that if I plugged a couple of power strips in to my APC-UPS Then plugged all of my gear in to the power stips I got rid of the noise.

I hope this helps.

GRIZ

Thanks for the replies!

ohh!

They have to be plugged into the same "strip of plugs?"

My beringer mixing desk was a german import so it therefore uses a "2 pin plug" (no earth) - would this be causing a problem?

The guy @ the shop i bought said it wouldn't but to be honest i trust him as far as i can throw him :)

thanks!

one-I'm no recording expert, but I think you may have found your problem with the lack of "ground" on that mixer. If it's DUAL voltage, you may try getting a power regulator? From an electronics store, and set the mixers power to 220. I believe the transformer 220 to 110, should be three prong. I've never tried this, but it may do the trick.

this is what i thought and like your self no recording expert to pass judgement!

Can someone clarify this? If so i will sending the mixer back 1st class post in exchange for a UK mixer!

thanks.

You say it works fine if only the output or only the input is connected... try lifting the ground on the output (i.e., disconnect the shield at on end of the connection). This might be the source of the ground loop... it's something to try, and cheaper then paying for shipping to get a different model, which may or may not have the same problem.

Either way, I hope this is useful.

William Underwood

Great!

Thanks any advice is *very* helpful i will try that as soon as i get in.

cheers!

Back