How to use a TASCAM US-1800 with Sonar X3 Producer?

Jonny Rebel

Hi folks, I'm new to the digital recording world and am trying to get a TASCAM US-1800 to work with Sonar X3 Producer. I have a degree in Electronic Music and Composition but back in the 1970's we did it all with tape. Currently I work in IT so I have a good knowledge of computers.

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish:

I want to route each input on the Tascam to separate tracks in Sonar. It has the latest driver updates for Win 7 Pro X64 and Sonar recognizes it but I can't figure out how to assign its inputs to tracks. Perhaps I'm using the wrong tool to do what I want. Any suggestions on how to get it to work?

Thanks,
Jonny;)

I have no experience with Sonar, but much with the Tascam. If you have the appropriate driver installed for the Tascam, then you need to find out where you select the individual input channels within Sonar.

With all recording software you must specify what audio input/device is to be used by the program (Sonar). Then select the input for the track you are recording to.

I hate to say it, and not trying to be rude but read the manual. Or Google for some setup videos. :)

Jonny, just as Jimmy stated, all DAWs have an input selector. Once the 1800 is working correctly you should see either 14 or 16 inputs (depends if the SPDIF is enabled), then check Sonar to see if there is a input range preference (Reaper has this in preferences, Ableton everything just shows up), once selected, if it is an analog track, should see in 1-14 and you select what goes where.

Don't forget to label your tracks, you will thank me later.

Hey Jonny, welcome to Home Recording.

I have the same set up, US-1800/Sonar X3. In preferences make sure the Tascam is recognized. Then at the bottom of each channel strip there's a i/o selection, click on the "I" and select Tascam US-1800. Each channel will show up as :
Ch 1 left
Ch 1 right
Ch 1 stereo

Ect. Ect.

Ch 1 stereo is inputs 1 & 2 recorded on the same track

The ch 1 right is ch 2 input on the tascam. Also be sure to enable the record to see the meters move, and the monitoring enable to hear signal with effects.

Johnny, do a google search for 'changing input audio track sonar' and you should have your answer (explanations I saw when doing the google search were from cakewalk).

Thanks Fuzz, I got it working! There is some latency but I'll tweak with the buffers to see how much I can minimize it. Not that much of an issue if I'm recording live but if I'm laying down multiple tracks it could be an issue :). My next step is to figure out how to add some drums!

Thanks so much for your help and I'll be sharing the final product when I'm finished...

Jonny

Back