How to trigger recording with a footswitch in Sonar 7?

Pykon

Hi @ll!

I's like to trigger recording start/stop in SOnar 7 with a footswitch connected to Line6 TonePort UX2.

Anyone knows how to do it?

PS. A view hours of online research - no effect.

Key bindings option seems to hace triggering by midi jeyboard option only.

Is it realy so?

Is it possible that my lovely Sonar doesn't allow me to record comforably without clicking R on computer's keyboard and then running to my guitar to start playing?

HELP!

:-)

mike

You could get a midi footswitch (as in the Behringer FCB-1010 $150) that will send midi commands.

It would be cheaper to get a $50 usb keyboard and use it.

A simple switch isn't going to do anything.

HERE'S A CHEAPER ALTERNATIVE:

I use a $10 usb numeric keypad with a $10 usb active extender cable.
Map your recording commands to the numeric keypad keys.
I've got a 20ft remote that way....

A simple switch isn't going to do anything.

But You know...

It's not a simple switch, it's connested to the TonePort UX2 which transfers midi messages to other apps. Abbleton has no rpoblem receiving it, so why should Sonar have any problem with it? In TonePOrt control panel I can assign footswitch to midi commands like Play, Stop, Record etc to be sent to Midi Out - TonePort has not midi out port so it goes to other apps. But can Sonar read it? If I knew what midi controller is used (or number, note, whatever) I could assign it in Key Bindings dialog, but it needs some stinky MIDI SHIFT button or pedal to be defined and pressed - how the decibell can I use any single device as a trigger if SOnar tells me to push the Shift befor it may work?

I believe it must be a workaround.

BTW - nice idea with... numpad?

Mmmmm... there is a free ulitity called MIDI-OX that will let you monitor all midi activity in your system. You can use it to find out what cc the footswitch is putting out.

Good luck!

Mmmmm... there is a free ulitity called MIDI-OX that will let you monitor all midi activity in your system. You can use it to find out what cc the footswitch is putting out.

Good luck!

You also may be able to set-up the tone port as a generic control surface and use the "learn" feature to get the MIDI message sent by to foot switch . I've never done this but it it covered in the help file - don't look too complicated

You also may be able to set-up the tone port as a generic control surface and use the "learn" feature to get the MIDI message sent by to foot switch . I've never done this but it it covered in the help file - don't look too complicated

Is this Sonar or Gerabox feature/help file?

mike

Is this Sonar or Gerabox feature/help file?

mike

It is in the Sonar help file.

I found it under the topic

"Assigning Faders and Knobs to Control SONAR Parameters"

You can also search "learn" and the help file will display several entries concerning the feature. It should work for anything that can send a MIDI message.

Back