How to record a solo trombone - advice needed!

JoeTbn96

Hey all!

I need some advice on what mics are best to use to record a solo trombone, and mic placement. Can anyone help me please?

So heres what I use currently: Rode NT1A Cardiod Condenser Mic, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB Audio Interface, Logic Pro X.

The Rode makes a nice sound, but it isn't as clear as I'd like it to be. I don't know if that is because of placement? I've experimented a little but can't seem to find the sweet spot, so my first question is - can anyone advise me on placement for this mic?

I've heard of a technique where you use the condenser mic to mic up the acoustic of the room, whilst you use a dynamic mic to close mic the horn? Is that a thing? If so, would anyone recommend it? If so, I'd be thinking of using a Shure SM57 dynamic instrument mic with the Rode NT1A.

I've also heard that ribbon mics are good for the trombone? If so, does anyone know of a decent one at a reasonable price?

I'd just like some advice from anyone with experience of recording a trombone or a similar instrument before I spend the money.

Thanks alot!

JoeTbn96 :-)

---------- Update ----------

Also, does anyone know about mics that clip on to the bell?

The Rode makes a nice sound, but it isn't as clear as I'd like it to be.

What does this mean? How are you listening? Are you sure it's your mic that is not clear? Or your listening environment?

I can't imagine the Rode, nor the SM57, not giving you a good capture. I have recorded trumpet in the past and placed a Studio Projects C1 about 0.75 - 1.0 meter from the bell. It sounded good.

The Rode isnt always nice on Brass, but it should be a bit bright (bit of a bulge at 10k ish) rather than unclear. 1-3m from the bell sounds about right to me too.

If it's unclear then Chili is probably right - how are you listening to your recordings? and what other equipment is involved?

Brian Culbertson uses a Lewitt 240 to record his trombone. Good enough for him...

I would most definitely experiment with mic placement. You don't necessarily need to use multiple mics. Just move your mic of choice around the room and record different snippets until you find what you consider to be a sweet spot. You can move it pretty far away, provided your room is quiet.

I've heard of a technique where you use the condenser mic to mic up the acoustic of the room, whilst you use a dynamic mic to close mic the horn? Is that a thing?

Yes. That is most definitely a thing. However, when you do that, you must be careful of phase cancellation.

P.S. Mics which clip on the bell are generally used for live sound reinforcement. Not recommended for studio use.

Last edited:
Back