How to mic djembe and tambourine pedal combo?

tonesponge

I just got a djembe and kick tambourine and I'd like to learn how to mic this combo. I've always used an ekit or keyboard for percussion, so I have no background in using mics with acoustic percussion. Any suggestions?

*Totally* dependent on how you want them to sit in the mix. And *totally* dependent on a fairly stellar room.

That said - If you want very "up front" (rare, but it happens once in blue moon), close-up dynamics, top for the tap, bottom for the body. Tambourine from several feet away on-axis.

For "typical" I'd go with a stereo pair of SDC's or LDC's from around 5' away on the djembe, around 12-15' away for the tambourine.

That said - As it's a combo, try 7-10' away and see if that works well for both. *IN A DECENT ROOM* it should be fine. In a bad or poorly treated space, it's going to sound like complete crap from the get go, so go with the closer dynamic technique -- It doesn't sound great, but it'll have less of the space in it.

Either way, it's a lot of moving and experimentation to find the sweet spot in the room and the right sound of the instruments.

Make sure that the tambourine mic is in phase with the djmbe because you'll get inevitable bleed. Mic the top and bottom of the djembe and try flipping the phase of one.

Thanks. I'm using an Apollo twin, so I only have two audio inputs. I suppose if I'm micing the top and bottom of the djembe, and using a third mic on the tambourine, then I will need to run the mics of the djembe through a mixer that has a digital optical output so I can use the Apollo Twin's optical input to gain the extra channels. But if I mix the signal and take them in through one audio input, is it possible to separate the instruments in the box using band pass filters and get some individual level controls that way?

*Assuming* you're trying to get this (these) to fit into a mix of some sort (and not be a djembe / tambourine solo recording) -- My advice in this case would be to use a pair of SDC's to capture the djembe and just let the tambourine bleed in. Hopefully it won't be too loud - as it's incredibly difficult to make a tambourine "too quiet" - that's not a rip on tambourines - Just the nature of the beast. I've done recordings with entire percussion sections with a spaced pair...

THAT SAID -- The room. The room is going to make it or break it (also the nature of the beast).

*Assuming* you're trying to get this (these) to fit into a mix of some sort (and not be a djembe / tambourine solo recording) -- My advice in this case would be to use a pair of SDC's to capture the djembe and just let the tambourine bleed in. Hopefully it won't be too loud - as it's incredibly difficult to make a tambourine "too quiet" - that's not a rip on tambourines - Just the nature of the beast. I've done recordings with entire percussion sections with a spaced pair...

THAT SAID -- The room. The room is going to make it or break it (also the nature of the beast).

Thanks again.

Presuming I don't get extremely lucky and find my untreated space is miraculously decent, what do you think about recording outdoors to remove the room? I have ocean way studios, so I was thinking about trying it out on audio recorded outdoors. Do you think that has potential, assuming I don't get much ambient noise?

I find there's almost always too much ambient noise outside unless you're really out in the middle of nothing. That said - Sometimes there's nothing really wrong with certain ambient noises....

You can always experiment.

I'd also use 2 mics as John suggested, but maybe use one mic for the low end, directed at the bottom of the Djembe and the other mic to capture the highs (top head & tambourine) Tambourines have tons of transients so you can overload a mic/input easily so having a couple feet of space between the tamb and mic might work best. gl

I find there's almost always too much ambient noise outside unless you're really out in the middle of nothing. That said - Sometimes there's nothing really wrong with certain ambient noises....

You can always experiment.

With that kind of instrument, it's probably better to find a nice space to record it in than recording it dry. Instruments like that seem to live in the room.

Agreed. With most high-transient percussives (tambourine, triangle, glockenspiel, etc.), I'm mic'ing the room more than the instrument...

Back