How to manipulate vocals (samples included)

Rufio90210

Hi all,

I am new to recording, using Garageband on mac. I am trying to record a vocal part that I want to have that high haunted choir vibe going on like the edward scissor hands sound track (you tube Danny elflam - Iceman)

I can pull it off for the first couple of notes but then I can't hit the notes .... i want to know if there are any (preferably free or cheap) software / plugs ins that I can use on garageband that would like of let me do something similar to Logics Flex Pitch. Or some kind of way like on a midi instrument you can drag the blocks around to what note you want to hit. I have tried Garagebands pitch plug in and sang lower but it just takes away all of the natural elements of the voice and does not sound right, I just need it for the really high ones.

Any advice on how to nail this will be appreciated.
s
I have made some quick demos of the part using a synth, I rushed it so timings not bang on but you can suss the melody, there is also my vocal attempt in the 2nd track so you can hear where Im going wrong.

it starts at 30 secs in on each track https://soundcloud.com/user16806383/sets/demo

Im considering paying someone to sing it for me but hoping there is some way I can nail it using plug ins or something.

Many thanks!

Hi Rufio,

Vocal correction is a very delicate operation and software that keeps unwanted artefacts at bay won't come cheap. The stock auto-tune plugins and even the Melodyne-esque tools that now come with many DAW's can often let you down in this regard.

Melodyne itself is very good for this kind of operation though, and you can pick up the "essential" package for just under £70. Suppose you would have to weigh up the pro's and cons of splashing out for the software, or hiring a session singer, as you said.

If the option for a session singer is valid, I would almost always go down this route. Life is so much easier when you have decent recordings that need little work, as apposed to having sub-par tracks that need the surgeons in!

Hope this helps :)

Back