How to hear and record two keyboards with two apps at the same time

paxsonkev

Hello - I have two M-Audio controller keyboards, and multiple keyboard apps (NI Elektrik Piano, Blue3, several GForce synths) on my PC. I can assign the apps to either keyboard, hear them and record with them to a TEAC DP02. But I haven't been able to hear more than one at a time when I have a different app assigned to each keyboard. I'm looking for advice on how to hear the two keyboards at the same time and record them.

Instead of using the stand-alone apps, maybe try running their VSTi counterparts on different tracks in your DAW. On track 1, you'd assign keyboard 1 as the MIDI input and load up an instance of one of your soft synths. And on track 2, assign keyboard 2 as MIDI input and load up an instance of a different soft synth.

My guess is that the stand-alone apps can't share the audio system, so only one at a time would play. But in a DAW you should be able to have as many running concurrently as your PC can handle, each with their own MIDI input/channel, and all playing to the master bus that maps to your main audio outputs.

Instead of using the stand-alone apps, maybe try running their VSTi counterparts on different tracks in your DAW. On track 1, you'd assign keyboard 1 as the MIDI input and load up an instance of one of your soft synths. And on track 2, assign keyboard 2 as MIDI input and load up an instance of a different soft synth.

My guess is that the stand-alone apps can't share the audio system, so only one at a time would play. But in a DAW you should be able to have as many running concurrently as your PC can handle, each with their own MIDI input/channel, and all playing to the master bus that maps to your main audio outputs.
I figured the problem was that I'm running from my computer audio directly to the DP02 Portastudio. I was just hoping that there would be a work around. I do have the Ableton Light DAW that I can try next. But if there is any way to do this with the DP02, that's what I would prefer.

Thanks to you both. As there are no further suggestions, I will apply myself (an old dog, overdue for new tricks) to Ableton :)

Back