How much should I charge for studio time?

JohnSmooth

I wasn't really sure where i should ask this question but this seemed like the most logical place. I'm located in NYC and I'm interested in booking studio time in my home studio. My background is in audio engineering, and I have assisted with the engineering of recordings that have gone gold and platinum. I know the stuff in my studio and have produced some "dazzling compilations" so I've been told. With that said, Here is a list of what I'm working with. Please give me your opinion on what would be reasonable to charge. I'm a fair guy when it comes to charging but i am also trying to see a profit while being competitive.

John Smooth Studio List

Roland XP-10
Alesis QSR
Korg TR-Rack
EMU Vintage Keys
Casio WK-1630
AKAI MPC2000XL(fully blown)

Mac G4 running Digital Performer 4 w/ motu 1224 digital interface
(190 gigs of memory)

Mackie 32X8 mixing console w/ meterbridge

Behringer autocom compressor MDX1200
DOD compressor
Alesis 3630 compressor ( yuck)
Digitech Studio v2 Quad multi effects unit

Phillips dual deck CD recorder
Sony Mini Disk Deck
Stanton turntable

MCA large diaphram condenser microphone

JohnSmooth said:
Mac G4 running Digital Performer 4 w/ motu 1224 digital interface
(190 gigs of memory)

190 gigs of memory? I'm assuming you're talking about hard drive space. I don't know too much about G4's but 190 gigs of RAM is pretty impressive.

I'd do a search of the forums for "studio time" I know there are several threads the deal with the subject. I'd have done the search myself but seems that it's having trouble doing searches. Or at least I am.

Like anything else, it's a supply/demand situation. It would probably depend on your location. I'd check around and see how many studios are listed in the yellow pages and find out what they are charging. Word of mouth studios, such as homestudios without a business licence are a dime a dozen these days in some areas, and I've even heard of some guys charging as little as $10 hr Seems hardly worth the effort if thats the case in your area. Here is a word to the wise though. When you open your home to the public for business enterprize, you also are inviting Murphy. I would check with your insurance agent prior to doing this, as your insurance may not cover business related coverage. Damage to equipment, home, parking accidents and worse, liability for someone who gets hurt on your property, may even cause your insurance to be voided should you operate a business with no licence, or upgrade you insurance to business status. However, if this is in a rental, beware.
fitZ

Back