How do these drums sound?......

leaningpine

After trying out the Recorderman and Glyn Johns techniques and being frustrated with the lack of stereo spread I was getting, I mic'ed the whole drum set. I have

1 SM57 on snare
1 Behringer XM 8500 on the kick
3 Behringer XM 8500 on the toms
2 CAD 217 as overheads, spaced pair

This is my first attempt at micing a full set and was curious what other people's opinion of the sound was. I used no EQ or effects, just the sound of the drums.

http://soundcloud.com/user1990595/drums-19/s-ei6uE

Last edited:
I think they sound pretty good! They're almost perfectly balanced however I keep hearing more of the hi-hat as opposed to the toms, the toms are a little quiet in comparison to the rest of the kit. Other than that, sounds pretty good!

It all sounds darn good, except I think the snare needs a little more bite. Unless that was the sound you were going for, then good job

I agree, very good job. I'm surprised at how well those cheap Behringer mics tracked. I'd be interested to hear this once it's all compressed and EQ'd.

Cool, Thanks. I'll work on them a bit more and add some tweaking. Yeah, those behringer's were surprising! I saw the Frequency chart and noticed that they were almost identical to SM 57's so I tried them out. Those were bundled together with a mic bag I bought from musicians friend so they were like 10 bucks a piece in the bundle.

Back