How do I merge files?

4tracker

I have 9 audio files in .wav format, and I want to make them 1 seamless file.

How do I do this in cubase? I tried just opening the first file, then copy/pasting the next one at the end of that file, but I can't get it to lineup without hearing a glitch/artifact. There must be an easier way...

Thank you

Crossfade man. :)

Select both events and hit 'X'.

Thanks, buddy. That is not quite doing what I need because it is cutting out a small part of the audio.

I'll be a little more specific: my band recorded some material into the soundboard at a show. Those are 9 different clips. I want to merge them into one file because I need to sync it to video. So I can't lose any audio, and it seems the crossfade (unless I am doing it wrong, but I selected both events and hit x as you said) results in some parts of the file being lost.

Is there any way to make 1 audio track and then just paste each file at the end of one another? It almost works but there's a small glitch when I do that method.

Last edited:
You can just drag in audio files to Cubase. If you are getting a glitch then just fade in and out the edges of the event (wav file). The little squares at the top corners of every event control the fade in/out. You just need little short ones.

Not sure why you are loosing audio with crossfade. Do the events overlap?

One other question: is there a way to paste one audio file exactly at the end of another? Right now I am eyeballing it, but there must be a way to paste precisely at the end...?

---------- Update ----------

You can just drag in audio files to Cubase. If you are getting a glitch then just fade in and out the edges of the event (wav file). The little squares at the top corners of every event control the fade in/out. You just need little short ones.

Yes, I made them overlap very small amount and the x is there. It looks setup correctly, but it sounds like audio from the 2nd clip got lost. I will try again.

Since this has to sync with video I need it to be really precise.

Just place the cursor at the end of the tune and import file. If it not in the right place, zoom in and drag the event to the correct location. Toggle off the 'Snap' button. Top right on toolbar. You do not want the file to snap to tempo in this case.

Thanks, I really appreciate your help. There is no function that sends cursor to the end?

I've never had to use the crossfade so I'm just not familiar with it.

I think I got it to do what I need. Next I will have to sync with video...I'll probably need a new thread for that.

One other issue I am having: sometimes I cannot drag one file over/under the other one the small amount needed to enact the crossfade. Sometimes I can. Do you know why this would be? It's not the snap function preventing it as that is off.

Thanks, I really appreciate your help. There is no function that sends cursor to the end?

I've never had to use the crossfade so I'm just not familiar with it.

I think I got it to do what I need. Next I will have to sync with video...I'll probably need a new thread for that.

One other issue I am having: sometimes I cannot drag one file over/under the other one the small amount needed to enact the crossfade. Sometimes I can. Do you know why this would be? It's not the snap function preventing it as that is off.

Not sure. Never needed to. Just place the cursor there.

In the timeline at the top of the Project Window (where your locators are) hold the left mouse button and move mouse up and down to scroll the zoom. Left and right to move the cursor.

If the crossfade freaks out, use the bottom corner squares to move the start/end of the event. Make sure they don't overlap much. Or just put the event where it should be. If this is a live recording that has video, then there should not be overlap anyway I would assume. If anything since you have multiple wav files, I would guess you might have gaps in the audio. Not overlapping tracks.

Thanks for your help, buddy. All is good. Now I need to figure out how to sync the sound board with the camera audio...

No problem man. I don't have much experience with the video thing, but there are many here that do.

What software are you using? I once used some free video editor that was not so great. VLC or something...

I believe there is a thread about what you are doing on this site somewhere. I am at my old man bed time now so just do a search. :)

Best to ya.

Thanks. I only have virtualdub for video.
I hope it can do what I need.

VLC is great for playing back movies but not great for editing.

In order to crossfade, the events have to overlap.

Back