how do i fix so my music doesnt sound so boring and the same melody

P.S.L

as the title say i made a song im working on and it frustrating as i think it sounds boring listen to it long enough

Attachments

• ¨booring track.mp3
    2.9 MB
There is so much you can do with this track.

Firstly, let me just say that it isn't actually boring. It is a little generic, but I'm a sucker for a cute 4 chord sequence. I think the drums are a bit obvious and prominent, but they will be at this stage of development.

You can think of different harmonies along the way, in various places. You can do much more with the bass part to give the ear {and therefore the attention span} some variation to be distracted by.

You can add some percussion {or even other melodic instruments, if you're feeling daring} for a bit of rhythmic difference/ear candy.

You can add a lead line in some of it {Depending on how long you intend the song to be}. If you're feeling really rebellious, why not think of an entirely different melodic sequence that fits maybe 3 or 4 bars and takes in those 4 chords ? A wordless vocal ?

Do you know anyone that plays an instrument ? Brass, woodwind or strings preferably, but pretty much any instrument. If so, are they willing to contribute to your piece and can they improvise ? If so, you're quids in.

If you know someone, but they say they can't improvise, play the track and ask them to just do a warm-up in their own way, at their own leisure. Don't let them hear the track, just be sure they start in the key of the opening chord or a related chord {or note within the chord}. And record it. Don't let them know you're recording them. You may be pleasantly surprised at what emanates from their slightly unconscious being. I have a friend that plays the piano, sax and oboe. She always said she couldn't improvise, but I heard her improvise quite a few times when we'd be playing in a church meeting {when she felt no one was paying her any attention}. When I wanted an improvised jazzy piece on the sax or oboe on one of my recordings, I'd just get her to do a warm-up. If there was a little section I wanted her to play in, I'd get her to warm up for 2 minutes ~ but I'd record it. There was always something she'd do that I could fit into the song. The same thing happens with a friend of my son who plays some trumpet for me now and then. Sometimes, while he's warming up before we start, I'll record him, though he doesn't know it. Then I'll use some of it as part of a solo or lead break.

You know, there's so much you can do that could make the listener almost forget that 4 chord sequence.

There is so much you can do with this track.

Firstly, let me just say that it isn't actually boring. It is a little generic, but I'm a sucker for a cute 4 chord sequence. I think the drums are a bit obvious and prominent, but they will be at this stage of development.

You can think of different harmonies along the way, in various places. You can do much more with the bass part to give the ear {and therefore the attention span} some variation to be distracted by.

You can add some percussion {or even other melodic instruments, if you're feeling daring} for a bit of rhythmic difference/ear candy.

You can add a lead line in some of it {Depending on how long you intend the song to be}. If you're feeling really rebellious, why not think of an entirely different melodic sequence that fits maybe 3 or 4 bars and takes in those 4 chords ? A wordless vocal ?

Do you know anyone that plays an instrument ? Brass, woodwind or strings preferably, but pretty much any instrument. If so, are they willing to contribute to your piece and can they improvise ? If so, you're quids in.

If you know someone, but they say they can't improvise, play the track and ask them to just do a warm-up in their own way, at their own leisure. Don't let them hear the track, just be sure they start in the key of the opening chord or a related chord {or note within the chord}. And record it. Don't let them know you're recording them. You may be pleasantly surprised at what emanates from their slightly unconscious being. I have a friend that plays the piano, sax and oboe. She always said she couldn't improvise, but I heard her improvise quite a few times when we'd be playing in a church meeting {when she felt no one was paying her any attention}. When I wanted an improvised jazzy piece on the sax or oboe on one of my recordings, I'd just get her to do a warm-up. If there was a little section I wanted her to play in, I'd get her to warm up for 2 minutes ~ but I'd record it. There was always something she'd do that I could fit into the song. The same thing happens with a friend of my son who plays some trumpet for me now and then. Sometimes, while he's warming up before we start, I'll record him, though he doesn't know it. Then I'll use some of it as part of a solo or lead break.

You know, there's so much you can do that could make the listener almost forget that 4 chord sequence.
thank you for the answare i dont have enyone to make music with the issue is i dont really know how to switch the track up so its not just the same melody over and over again :)

thank you for the answare i dont have enyone to make music with the issue is i dont really know how to switch the track up so its not just the same melody over and over again :)
Ah, this is where the fun comes in. You don't know now, but... You have nothing to lose, so just throw stuff on the wall and see what sticks!

I get a nice little song going and I understand the thought of a musical rut. This is where the creative part comes in. As Grim stated, you have to play with it, massage it, stroke it, work it. Try different plug ins, if you can afford an instrument, try different sequence of notes, different sounds.

Really, the creative part of making a song isn't just in the words and the writing, it is also in the presentation. That is why recording is really hard because we are trying to do "everything", not just writing a song or recording a song. We want to present a song.

It sounded to me like a midi fie playing the piano part. But most of the notes were the same loudness.
If you played it with your fingers, you would naturally put some dynamics into the playing.
There are lots of techniques to get away from 'boring'.
Let one instrument make a statement, then another can 'answer' it. They can have a dialogue.
The piano could do contrasting segments, maybe alternating between loud and quiet.
They could come together for a short section, then go their own ways again.
Weave in a third instrument. Pass the melodies from one instrument to another.
Change keys and alternate between two time signatures.
Just experiment.

I did a quick listen. I would say it is not boring, but not interesting. Which is really for just instrumental is the struggle. I think you are going in the right direction, but exploration is your friend.

I did a quick listen. I would say it is not boring, but not interesting. Which is really for just instrumental is the struggle. I think you are going in the right direction, but exploration is your friend.
okey thank you do you have eny tips on how to make it more interesting ? :)

Actually, yes. Now you will find this very strange, but look at what this composer did, Composed by Ennio Morricone. Here is a sample of his music

Now, I am not suggesting you have to do a full orchestra, but look at how infused so many different elements, all based on a melody and counter melody, different voicing, different tempos. What is super funny here, the guy is really using simple notes with complex textures and ideas.

This is just to get your head moving in a direction. Your type of music may be totally different from the type of music performed, but not as different as you might think.

okey thank you do you have eny tips on how to make it more interesting ? :)
At the 48 second mark, I hear (in my head) a sweet female vocalist beginning to sing. The first 47 seconds is simply the beginning of a larger piece of music and storytelling.

Use your imagination to go beyond the beginning. Songs are no different than books are. Every good book has a beginning, a middle, and an end story combining the beginning and middle.

You're off to a good start.

this is what i come up with what you guys think ? :)
Better. The piano is a bit 'in your face', compared to the synth part.
I can imagine a smooth lead guitar line weaving around it, with some kind of vocal in there too.
It is already getting more complex.

At the 48 second mark, I hear (in my head) a sweet female vocalist beginning to sing. The first 47 seconds is simply the beginning of a larger piece of music and storytelling.

Use your imagination to go beyond the beginning. Songs are no different than books are. Every good book has a beginning, a middle, and an end story combining the beginning and middle.

You're off to a good start.
okey thank you :)

Back