How can I Make my vocals sound better?

partygirl

Okay. So my music's done, I love the way it sounds. Just not the vocals. I've never edited vocals before and I seriously need help. I'm using Izotope's Necter 2 to edit, and a MXL Tempo Mic to record (which might be my problem, but I have no money for a new one). I've uploaded only 7 seconds because it's the only part of my vocals that I'm kinda okay with. And everytime I turn up my vocals a weird sound messes up the mix. What do you think I should do to make it sound better?

Attachments

• PW sound test 5.mp3
    242.1 KB · Views: 51
Most USB condenser mics, to my understanding, are made more for pod casting and what not. The MXL Tempo has a 40 Hz - 18kHz frequency response and a 44.1 - 48 Khz sample rate which does limit its abilities. The sample you gave is pretty short and mostly is music with only one line of vocals, can you provide more so we can get a longer listen? It is tougher to focus when you constantly have to be restarting your listening. Immediately, your voice to me sounds pretty mechanical. Not much warmth to it. Do you have any reverb on it at all? That may add some warmth, but this is by far not my genre of music so I will probably leave the input for better understanding audiences.

Just my 2 cents.

I think your instrument mix is overpowering the vocals. Sometimes it not the vocals, but what is around the vocals. I just get the feel that the instrument mix and vocal sound is not matching. I just get the feel that the if you make the drums tight and lower that synth sound, the voice will mix better.

Not to mention the backing track is way hot in the frequency range your vocals need to be. Turn that shiz down and use a eq to cut the 1- 2.5k region. Sucks that doods that make beats don't give a shit about what it is used for. I have this happen all the time. Backing tracks almost always need to be tweaked for vocals. WTF do they think someone is going to do? Buy it and not spit tracks on it? :)

That being said, the idea is to get the best backing track possible as far as the beat creators are concerned. When anyone does there thing on top of it, there are things you need to do to make room for the vocal. This always depends upon the voice itself, and the quality of the room and mic you are recording with.

Turn that backing track down a bit, find the frequencies that are conflicting with your voice 'cut them down a bit' and post the whole tune.

Hard to judge how your voice sits in a 15 second mix.

Sucks that doods that make beats don't give a shit about what it is used for. I have this happen all the time. Backing tracks almost always need to be tweaked for vocals. WTF do they think someone is going to do? Buy it and not spit tracks on it? :)

No, they want the backing track to be complete. What they think you'll do is EQ it as needed to suit what you're putting over the top of it. ;)

If you ever need any help with editing vocals, we provide a professional service that can do this for you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back