How about the AKG C3000? Is this the forgotten mic?

I had a bit of time so I gave this one a good listen. The two are close, but I think the C3000 has a bit more weight in the bottom, and the 414 has more air at the top. I definitely heard more "room" with the 414 which in many cases might be a detriment. If the extra patterns aren't needed, I would probably pick the C3000 as it sounded more "relaxed".

I struggled to describe the difference, but I like the word weight, that describes it well. It just made me think this is a really useful mic that I stupidly haven’t even been considering. I found a second hand one last night so soon I will have two.

I use them for toms on a drum kit and a C-1000 on snare. Have for years. I swear by them in that application

I think I had a 3000, it was the champagne color. Reading about it the 3 versions released, much fewer than the 414.
My memory from the old days was it had good reviews for HR back in the cassette portastudio days and pre-cable internet, when Magazines was the info. lol

The sensitivity looks like 15 to 25, hypercardiod mode, vs cardiod.... its weird how certain mics like 414 have lasted forever, others like the 3000 came and went.

Back