Honey Suckle Rose , More Fidalgo Swing

This was live? It's pretty clean, which is usually about the best you can do.

Maybe a little dark in the vocals on the lower notes and a bit clicky on the percussion? But honestly, it's pretty good.

*edit*
Pop at 4:30.

Fun!
Yes too bad the voc is so back and wet. And I to'd go after the clicky stuff just right of center. Draws too much 'forward compared to where the rest sits. :>)
I pulled the width in just a bit too.
What tracks you have to work with BTW?

I think its superb playing and really clean sounds. I like the atmosphere of the audience too. Only thing that jumped out to me was the transition from the lead to the horn(alto sax?). Once that lead guitar stopped playing there was awkward drop in volume and it may have just been what the horn was playing.

The percussion (whatever it is) over on the far right is very distracting. The bass could use a compressor to even out some of the volume issues. What Bruthish mentions about the volume change - percussion disappears the same time the horn comes in, and the rhythm guitar gets lower in volume (if its there at all some times).

Thanks to all for the feed back , very valid points that I will address . I have been down for the count with the flu so haven't done any work for a bit , but am better now and getting back to it. Mixit , the tracks that I have to work with are : two guitars , bass ,vox and Percussion / sax ( the sax player doubles on percussion )I split the rhythm from the solos on the guitars and put on separate tracks and did the same for the Sax and Percussions . Both guitars and the bass were recorded direct from low Z out puts from the amps .
Am going to be starting back to work on this and others this weekend , have 16 songs total to mix for this project , and will be putting more up as I get them going . Thanks again ,and am glad the music is being enjoyed.

I like the recordings. The only thing I have to ask about is your method for getting to the individual song point.

I've recorded a fair number of live performances in the past year and a half (over a hundred) of varying quality and mostly short sets from open mics, but I've found it saves me a lot of time to record an entire set, and spend most of my time up front editing and mixing the dry tracks, then doing the EQ/compression/reverb(s) and even pseudo-mastering the entire set before even thinking about snipping things into individual songs for specific fixes or song-specific tweaks.

It seems like these songs are coming in with some similar problems, like image placement, that could (or should) have been taken care of once, or at least largely managed, with only, e.g., a pan automation in a single song, done later with closer listening.

Maybe I'm all wet, but just my impression that you're working these songs individually a bit early, especially if you're going to put them back together in a CD.

Definitely sounds clean for a live performance. Sure there's a few minor issues, but it sounds like a raw, live jazz album to me. The percussion on the right can be distracting a little bit, but if someone didn't mention it, I probably wouldn't have paid it as much attention.

Sounds surprisingly dry to me for a live recording, a tad bit of reverb on the whole mix might sound nice. Brightening up the whole mix with some high-end sparkle might sound good too, and it would help bring the vocal out a little more.

The lead guitar on the left could be a bit brighter too, but I understand it's more of a darker jazz sound, so it fits nice.

Keith , you are absolutely right about the approach that is being taken , and in retrospect using the method you mentioned above would've been the way to go , for sure. Unfortunately , the laptop that I recorded the performance on has since died .I transferred the project to my main comp for mixing , and cut the songs up , did a rough level mix and sent them to the band leader for selection , it was a 3 hour performance , and also to identify any clams that may have needed to be fixed . I realize now that doing it this way was a rookie move , I made a lot more work for myself . and put the "cart before the horse ", to be sure. I have been taking copious notes on what I hear , and feed back that I have been getting from the songs that I have posted ,so that may help me to address and fix issues that are common to all the songs quickly.
This is my first big project , the band leader is a good friend of mine , am using it as a learning tool , and to get my work out into the local music community. I realize now that my methodology is flawed , unfortunately it is what I am stuck with at this point . In the future my work flow will be more streamlined , and make more sense . I appreciate your feed back . Thanks

Keith , you are absolutely right about the approach that is being taken , and in retrospect using the method you mentioned above would've been the way to go...
Well, I arrived at working that way through doing a lot more work like you, of course! And, when you've got recordings done a different times and places, etc., working from the individual songs is all you can do. (I'm kind of in awe of the uniformity of sound of some artists when you read the album notes and the songs were recorded in different studios, maybe a couple different mix engineers, and it still sounds of a piece. Not there yet...)

So, when you figure out one song and say, "boy, wish I'd done the others like this," I just go back to the other projects and, in Logic, create an alternative, and then I can import just what I want from any other project track, like FX settings, pan, whatever, or just an entire track, then move the audio into that track. (Project cleanup is necessary to keep things from getting out of control size-wise.) If I'm lucky, I'll figure out a few big things early and create a template, and then just go import audio and kind of start over on some if it seems quicker.

Hard knocks - best school there is for this, usually the only one :)

I listened to mix #2.

Generally a good mix. I like the guitar tone. Nice jazz tone. Bass tone is nice to. Drums are pretty far back in the mix, which is probably typical for jazz. For me - I'm not hearing enough drums.

The vocal has a real boxiness to it. I doubt there is much you can do about that. Nice singer tho. Caught one pitch issue early on. But it's live, so you kind of expect that.

Guitar and bass players are good.

Back