Hi-Z or line level?

andrewblu

Hello!

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 with two line level inputs, and a friend recommended I'd get a Zoom TAC-2 because "it's better".

I usually trust my friend when it comes to studio equipment, but as I don't have too much money I would prefer being on the safe side.

So I noticed the Zoom TAC-2 has two line level inputs + one Hi-Z input, and I have googled what the difference is but I'm not really sure I understand.

My question for you is, is it better (like a lot better) to record acoustic guitars with Hi-Z rather than line level?
My second question is, is it a good enough upgrade going from Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 to Zoom TAC-2 or am I better off holding back and waiting until I can buy something that is a lot better?

Best regards, Andrew Blu.

EDIT: I've heard Hi-Z is better than line level when it comes to guitars, but as I already have two line level-inputs on the soundcard I have; is it worth buying a new one just for the Hi-Z input?

The Zoom is a little bit better because Focusrite really messed up on those mic preamps. The zoom is ok. But I would recommend the Audient iD14 as an upgrade because of its expandability and you are getting 2 channels of their $12,000.00 broadcast console compared to a generic mic pre that is properly assembled (Zoom) granted both are a step up from the Focusrite unit, but the Audient will give you more bang for the buck.

Your 2i2 already has Hi-Z inputs. That's what the inst/line switch on the front of the unit does. In the "inst" position, it switches the 1/4" combo jack to a Hi-Z instrument-level input.

The only problem with the preamps and instrument inputs on the 2i2 is that they tend to clip when fed a really hot signal (like from active guitar pickups). They improved things with the recent 2nd revision of the Scarlett series. Otherwise, I think that they're good preamps for an entry-level interface.

It is generally agreed that acoustic guitars record better via a microphone (and I would suggest an SDC) rather than the onboard pickup system. That said, this is not always convenient and there are also two P/U options on acoustics.

Passive: This is where there is no amplification built into the guitar and the peizo pickup is intended to feed a high impedance pre amp. However the required impedance (Z) is very high! 5 to 10 meg Ohms for good results. No AI to my knowledge has such high Z imputs (my A&H ZED10 mixer does, cough!) .

Active: With OB amplification and usually EQ. This system can feed line or HZ inputs as the source Z is (or bloody should be!) very low. But! Many top bods reckon that even the best guitar OB pre amps don't be at a good mic.

Yes, the 2i2 had poor HZ headroom but that is the case for many budget devices (9 V powered pedals are hardly "studio" level!) The later one is better and in any case, You Can Always Turn The Fekking Guitar Down! (tone suck? Use a much shorter lead)

As Mr T says, the 2i2 has very decent pre amps, probably as good as anything in its price point. You would have to put a nought on the price tag to get a significantly better specification and even then I doubt you would hear the diff'. (there is another thread going on about 2i2s and SM57s atmo')

Dave.

Hello!

EDIT: I've heard Hi-Z is better than line level when it comes to guitars, but as I already have two line level-inputs on the soundcard I have; is it worth buying a new one just for the Hi-Z input?

your interface will do it (hi-z) but I've rarely use pickups as my main source for recording and I never had find it to be better than using microphones.

Just to try and give a bit of background, HiZ mean "high impedance" and means it's an input suitable for devices like the magnetic or piezo pickups used electric guitars (or acoustics if you've installed a pickup). Signals from these devices come in at a level hotter than a microphone but less than line.

Line level is a specific voltage (or, rather, range of voltages) with an arbitrary reference as to what "zero" is. Line level is almost always the domain of powered electronics...mixer outputs, electronic pianos and synthesizers, that sort of thing. It's not so much a question of which is a "better" input but, rather, the way you want to record your guitar. If you're using a pickup, then HiZ/Instrument is the correct one. If you're using a microphone, then directly into the mic input is correct--and if your using a mixer or mic pre amp, then it would be line.

Back