Here's a new one

Though so, wasn't sure about the kick - sounded like a sample. You have a nice sounding kit, great tom sounds. Great job!

Nice drum sound for sure, they are real though right? Not programmed anyway I don't think - is this partially triggered samples from a real kit and partially real - cymbals, ride etc snare. Great sound whatever the process.

heh ... they're real drums. Maybe I sound like a machine when I play because I haven't really developed the *feel* of a drummer, yet :)
So, no triggers at all ... was there something specific that made you think it was midi? The snare bugs me a little ... it seems ... i dunno ... boxy? ...
The only electronics were the piano and bass (both off of a QS8).
Thanks for the listen you guys! :)

Thanks for the compliment man. I'm new to playing and caring for drums, and have really started working on recording drums a lot more since I heard the porterhouse CD that Ed mixed and mastered. For years, I never really gave the drums much thought and just "threw some mics on them" and used a lot of EQ. But hearing that CD made me realize how unnatural my sound really was. I think it's gotten better, but that's what great about this BBS. Thanks for the candid comments about it being a drum machine! :) I think the kick may be gated too quick, which is probably why is sounds synthetic. I'm glad you think the toms are good ... I spent most of last night tuning them ... I find that kind of stuff still to be pretty difficult. I'm also going to try to tune up the snare better tonight ... so if anyone has any tips, I'd appreciate them.
Thanks

Drums sounded good to me, also neat song. Are you the one man band, like the most of us.

Nice playing all around!!!

To be able to listen properly, I need to download this to my MP3-player, so I can listen to it on my stereo. And I can't because it complains that the file is copy protected...

ahhh, so that tag has a function after all ... Now I know. :)
I took the copyright tag off and re-uploaded it ... please try again.

I usually am a one man band too ... except when we do these jazzy piano-based tunes. That's my brother on the piano. Really, all we do is jam these days ... the songwriting part is happening at a snails pace. :(

Great Piano part man!

the drums also sound really great. Great job. Me personally, like the snare a bit more 'snappy', but still great work!

Damn, how long you been playing drums? There is a little rushed feel at the very beginning, but you settled-in and pretty much nailed the rest of it. Dug the drum sounds a lot, it sounds like your homework is paying off (though I haven't heard any of your older stuff to compare it to). That's the great thing about this forum, it really helps me hear my own deficiencies. What's your mic setup on the drums?

goodone Big K - is that a Kurtzweil piano or a roland. Great drums either good playing or excellent progamming - well done - reminds me of oscar peterson

"I haven't really developed the *feel* of a drummer, yet"

You are going to be dangerous when you do.

Great stuff. Very Ben Folds.

Yeah, the drums sound *good*. Can you find a way, though, to get the piano more in your face? Bring it up to the level and presence of the drums? Nice jam. Do you guys do this well when you're rehearsing something? :)

I really started trying to sound good about 6 months ago ... although I used to play on our drummers kit when I was in a band just to get out aggression (mostly caused by the drummer :) ) ... but never sounded good and never wanted really wanted to ... until now. The nuances ... that's what's missing. All the kick-ass subdivisions that drummers make look so easy ... give me serious trouble. That's what drum machines miss a lot of the time too. I try to do stuff like that, but wind up become very tense and start hitting the drums harder. Finesse ... that's what's missing too. Drummers make it look easy. I just need to get out from behind the drumset and drill some patterns. But that's no fun.
I like the snare more snappy too ... I re-tuned it ... and I guess it sounds better ... maybe I'll post a mp3 so you can hear. If you have any tips, let me know ... it's a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute with ATTACK (Terry Bozzio) heads ... the guy at GC said they're were good for a snappy sound.
The mic set up I have right now is the most elaborate I've ever had:
Kick - D112
Snare - SM57 top / SM57 bottom
Toms (3) - Shure AX6
HiHat - AT Pro37r
Overheads (2) - Oktava MC012

I added the hihat mic and am very pleased with the results ... that one stays. Still haven't decided on the extra snare mic.

The piano is actually either the stock "PureStereo" or "TrueStereo" piano sound on the Alesis QS8. I still think the QS series have the best piano sounds.

Thanks for all the encouraging words ... all of you guys. I hope I can get a real tune out here soon ... the last two have just kinda been ideas. Been doing a lot of jamming mainly because I'm creatively burnt out on songwriting for the time being (we've all been there, I'm sure). I'll get it back.
Anyway ... thanks again for the nice comments!

Back