Help! Yes its newb vocals

cwhaley

Hey guys, so heres a link to a little cover I roughed up from my favorite artist.

I haven't been singing long, but something I truly want to be great at.

looking for all the advice I can get, Ive listened to my self so much I don't know if I sound bad or worse.

I am a huge overthinker and relying on you guys to help me out!

Thanks!

[https://vocaroo.com/i/s1Jqs0NJR1QH[/url]

I'd offer something -wonderful- from my brief period with a very good vocal coach.

He said "Think it, and sound it."

This was primarily (part one' of a few steps), to set one up to allow one (from a dead stop whatever) to begin vocalizing a note.. dead on pitch.

OK, all well and good, with regard to 'plucking a given note out of the blue' as it were.

But I came to realize (..believe' :) It applies to more than that.
'Half' ..made up number ;) of singing on pitch... is understanding ('defining, 'clarifying'?) the notes involved.

It seems to me (my guess.. :>) I hear someone who can sing in pitch. Just haven't really dialed in yet on what some of the notes really are. :)

Great info thank you! I'm curious if there is software that can help for that? Not that I'm looking for a cop out I just have a lazy ear ?

Great info thank you! I'm curious if there is software that can help for that? Not that I'm looking for a cop out I just have a lazy ear ��

Not sure I understand the question. 'Software to help learn or identify' the right notes? No, I doubt it. In the case where you're covering an existing song -you have a performance to use as a guide to to follow. Once the notes are understood, there you have at least a stepping off point to explore alternatives.

Pitch correction? No. IMHO, you asked about your singing. Presumably to learn and be able to sing. Pitch correction isn't addressing that -at all-. And the primary problem -of not knowing or finding some of the notes, is much better, simpler done sitting there with guitar, keyboard or what have you, as an aid sorting them out if need be.

Not sure I understand the question. 'Software to help learn or identify' the right notes? No, I doubt it. In the case where you're covering an existing song -you have a performance to use as a guide to to follow. Once the notes are understood, there you have at least a stepping off point to explore alternatives.

Pitch correction? No. IMHO, you asked about your singing. Presumably to learn and be able to sing. Pitch correction isn't addressing that -at all-. And the primary problem -of not knowing or finding some of the notes, is much better, simpler done sitting there with guitar, keyboard or what have you, as an aid sorting them out if need be.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The reason im asking about software is from my understanding, you said my pitch was ok but im off key? if that's the case I was curious if there is software that as I sing it tells me what note im singing. The only reason I ask this is I really have trouble hearing if im on key or not. Even setting down with my guitar and playing a chord and trying to sing that note I cant tell, sadly. hints the lazy hear. i don't think im tone deaf because ive been playing guitar for 10 years but singing on key is a real trouble for me. maybe knowledge maybe skill but i just cant tell. Really sucks because music is truly my passion but ive struggled with this ever since i really started taking singing serious :(

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The reason im asking about software is from my understanding, you said my pitch was ok but im off key? if that's the case I was curious if there is software that as I sing it tells me what note im singing. The only reason I ask this is I really have trouble hearing if im on key or not. Even setting down with my guitar and playing a chord and trying to sing that note I cant tell, sadly. hints the lazy hear. i don't think im tone deaf because ive been playing guitar for 10 years but singing on key is a real trouble for me. maybe knowledge maybe skill but i just cant tell. Really sucks because music is truly my passion but ive struggled with this ever since i really started taking singing serious :(
Back track a bit here.
Some of your notes are in pitch.
Now to trying to understand what you are saying here..
Do you mean to say ..for example if you play a note (as a reference pitch), then sing along with this note, you can not hear the differences ..as in when you're pretty much 'on, vs say intentionally or not, well off the note?

Yes I'm saying when I play a note on the guitar and try to sing the same note at the same time I cannot hear/tell if I'm singing the same note or if it's flat/sharp that I'm playing on the guitar.

Truly frustrating but don't know how to fix this

---------- Update ----------

Back track a bit here.
Some of your notes are in pitch.
Now to trying to understand what you are saying here..
Do you mean to say ..for example if you play a note (as a reference pitch), then sing along with this note, you can not hear the differences ..as in when you're pretty much 'on, vs say intentionally or not, well off the note?

Yes I'm saying when I play a note on the guitar and try to sing the same note at the same time I cannot hear/tell if I'm singing the same note or if it's flat/sharp that I'm playing on the guitar.

Truly frustrating but don't know how to fix this

See above

Hi. Not sure where to go with this. There are pitch and ear training methods I'm sure.
That and put some time into it- along with simple tunes start with.
What if; You had a pitch, like on a piano, and you were tightening your guitar string up to it.. Could you hear that?

I can get real close, if my guitar is out of tune I can hear that as well.

It just seems to be something about the voice

I know this is the noob section and I REALLY don't want to be cruel but. IMHO SOME people can sing, they KNOW they can sing, they always COULD sing. They were stood on beer crates at age 8 and sang for pennies in pubs.

Like 'Da Man' said about swing.."If ya gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know". BUT! You CAN by dint of hard work become a really good guitar player (maybe get a good tuner?) or a stonking keyboardist but if you ain't 'got it' I don't think you CAN get it.

Dave.

While there is truth in that to varying degrees, we don't know how long -or hard the OP's been at it.
There is a whole lot to say for not selling one's short, and what we can learn.

While there is truth in that to varying degrees, we don't know how long -or hard the OP's been at it.
There is a whole lot to say for not selling one's short, and what we can learn.

Well maybe I was overly harsh but I did not say all that lightly. I know it sort of knocks "The Dream" i.e. if you REALLY want something and work really hard at it, it can happen but some things are perhaps "gifts"?

Dave.

Gotta disagree to some extent. I believe (as do some of my fellow music peeps) that anyone can learn to sing, even sing well. It's just that a certain percentage of the population happen to have a natural born talent to sing. Those that don't, just have to work harder at it.

There are a number of avenues (at least around here) where someone can get training. I thought I was a pretty good singer until I took a few lessons at Guitar Center. Boy, did I learn a few things! There are a number of exercises and techniques to improve.

And let's not forget that you don't have to be a super-skilled singer to make it in the biz....but it does help!

Gotta disagree to some extent. I believe (as do some of my fellow music peeps) that anyone can learn to sing, even sing well. It's just that a certain percentage of the population happen to have a natural born talent to sing. Those that don't, just have to work harder at it.

There are a number of avenues (at least around here) where someone can get training. I thought I was a pretty good singer until I took a few lessons at Guitar Center. Boy, did I learn a few things! There are a number of exercises and techniques to improve.

And let's not forget that you don't have to be a super-skilled singer to make it in the biz....but it does help!

The paradox is, I agree with that, a bit! IF you get skilled help them yes, practically anyone can be helped to sing quite well. You say yourself that you learned A LOT from a teacher and you were ok to start with! If you have zero personal confidence and no help?

There are a few top shot putters. There are a few Gold medal marathoners but not the same person! We are built differently and must work to our personal skill set. Evolution and genetics sets what the brain/eye/ear/hand/voice system is ultimately capable of as well.

Dave.

Back