Help with deciding on a mic for male vocals

Gamma

Edit: I gutted this post because it was a bit ridiculous.

Hello guys, new to the forums :p
This is probably gonna be a bit of a stretch.

Looking to replace the X1 with a mic that doesn't sound as bright(scooped?). I just never recorded anybody with it and liked the sound.
Hoping some of you guys could tell me a little bit about your experience with any of these mics so I can maybe make a better choice.

I Will be recording my voice mostly, so a baritone male. My voice doesn't very low or anything special, just an average baritone.
People say that my voice has "nice sounding" rumble or humming sound to it when I speak and that it doesn't record well. I'm not quite sure what they mean in that case though.
So I'm looking to get a more neutral mic that isn't as hyped. Or just a mic that EQs well.

So I'm looking at these few mics: The CAD m179, Studio Projects B1, and possibly the Cascade Victor.
I record through a UR22 interface, I believe it'll supply enough power for a m179 but idk about enough gain for a ribbon.

Greatly appreciate any suggestions you can give me.

Last edited:
I have decided against the sE 5000, it really doesn't seem like it'd be a good choice.
So I omitted that from the first post.

Last edited:
Se Electronics X1?

Affordable (cheap-ish) cardioid condenser.

Given the price range, you might get a change of tone from those mics (which might suit your voice better), but not an overall improvement in 'quality'. I use a cheap and nasty Se Electronics 2000a for a lot of vocals, and it does a servicable job but nothing spectacular, I wouldn't expect much more than you're getting from the X1 with the mics you've suggested.

In that price range I would stay away from a ribbon on vocals. I have tried a few cheap ribbons and they don't normally flatter vocals and sound quite different to condensers. They also tend to require a LOT of gain compared to a condenser (80db on quiet sources sometimes) and your interface might struggle.

If you are looking at the price range for a Cascade Victor, you could do worse than look at the Se2200a as an alternative that needs far less gain won't break if you knock it too hard or accidently feed it phantom power.

edit: I am in the Uk, prices for the Victor seem to be £160 ish amd the 2200a is £180 ish.

Oops, I managed to drop context when editing.
Sorry, yes I meant the sE Electronics X1.

I guess rhe best way to explain what I'm looking for is more of a side-grade(price range wise) to a mic that has a better tone.

Yeah I thought that could pose a problem with a ribbon, considering they eat gain like children devour candy....and the risks given that I'm a bit of a clutz.
So I guess more between the Studio Projects B1 or the CAD? Those two were the only few in my range right now that seems to get consistently positive reviews.

Hmm...my $200 budget I think is more around £135/€170 or something, so I really couldn't push further than that. (Darn price variations heh.)

I know it's a pretty low budget but I'd rather spend less for now and then go for something actually considered decent much later. Trying to avoid buying things in steps if that makes sense.
But I guess that a $200 budget is better than a...$80-$100 budget...

Last edited:
That's a much harder question to answer - there isn't any way of telling without testing the mics, as there isn't any clear consensus on one being 'better' than the others for the money.

Sorry I can't be more helpful but without acess to your actualy voice and a selection of these mics there isn't a way of knowing :/

Find a plot of the X1's response (I gave up.
The CAD m-179's response in cardioid has a more moderate, and higher up lift than some. To my mind it comes off not teribly bright. In fig-8 it shows different ( I haven't used it on voc in that pattern that I can recal) and is perhaps, a useful lower lift point option/sound.
CAD Audio - The Brand Used by Professionals!

I wouldn't advise a ribbon -the hand helds (Beyers?) the exception -apt to be too warm, make a mistake with most ribbons (moving them carelessly, forget to have a pop filter?) it can be done for.

How about that nice range of inepensive mics from ADK. 'All flavors, he been great at asking for help (if it's even needed). Def check on them them.
ADK STUDIO SERIES | ADK Microphones

Back