Help, pretty please! : ) Connecting laptop and mixer

yejveg

Hello,

I have my Macbook Pro Retina "13, a ALTO PBM8.250 MKII mixer and access to leads to connect the acoustic, keyboard, bass, electric drums, etc.

I was wondering how I can record songs with the mac and mixer - I have no idea what cable(s) I need to buy (to connect the mac and mixer), and where to plug it in.

We're planning to sing and play all at the same time to record each track. I understand I probably can't record the vocals and instruments in separate layers in one go - it'll just be recorded as one flat file. That's okay. It'll be good if I can they can be recorded in layers though, so if possible, please let me know!

Thank you!

You're going to need an audio interface that can do output and input at the same time - a cheaper stereo one will be from about £50. You will have to use aux 1 to route the appropriate source to the computer, and then use a stereo channel to get the computer output to the mixer. It will work, but you just need to be careful to not accidentally route the wrong things, like the computer out back into the in! If you want to use this mixer, there's not much point going for a multichannel interface, because it doesn't have direct outs on the mixer. Alternatively, you could run the mics direct into the interface, if you only need one at a time.

So it's doable - just a bit of a fudge!

We're planning to sing and play all at the same time to record each track.

"We" who? How many of you are there? Do you want to record separate tracks and deal with mixing them down later, or do you just want to capture a stereo mix from the mixer for general reference? Recording separate tracks will be more expensive and more challenging for a beginner.

"We" who? How many of you are there? Do you want to record separate tracks and deal with mixing them down later, or do you just want to capture a stereo mix from the mixer for general reference? Recording separate tracks will be more expensive and more challenging for a beginner.

I think I will either just capture a stereo mix from the mixer, or record vocals separately and instruments together.

Back