help needed: Yamaha MT4x v. Tascam PS414

Christian

I'm in australia and I'm looking for a four track for making reasonable home compositions. I've found two models that are new and have been reduced in price:
the Yamaha MT4X (700 Australian dollars)
and the Tascam PS414 (600 Australian dollars)

1)Is it worth paying the extra money for the Yamaha?>>

2)Also what mike should I buy (I have none). I want the cheapest there is but I also want something that's not going to make the four track a waste of money.

Thanks for helping a newbie

Christian

What are you planning to record? A few basic guitar tracks and vocals?... A whole band?... I used to have a Tascam 424, and I outgrew it in a matter of weeks. Now I have a Digital 8-track, and even that's not enough yet, although I am getting some nice recordings. I guess what I'm trying to say here is... "spend your money once". Figure out how many tracks you think you're going to use on most of your songs, then DOUBLE that number. Bouncing tracks on an analog 4-track kills your sound quality. Digital is the way to go if you can swing it. As far as mics go, the Shure SM57 or SM58 are still a great value and are used at some of the top studios in the business. The price is approximately $75.00 (American). Good luck and have fun!

I have a slightly different view. *-tracks are great, but depending on what you want to record, you may not need them. I have both a digital 8-track and the Yamaha MT-4X, and in a lot of ways I like the MT-4X better. I would say that the MT-4X is definitely worth it over a cheaper 4-track --- and it works great sync'ing to MIDI if you ever want to go that route. While Buck62 is right about bouncing on cassette, if you have a digital mixdown device (DAT, mini-disc, etc.), you can get much better bounces mixing initial tracks to the digital recorder, then transfering these to one or two tracks of a new 4-track cassette. I have made excellent-sounding 6 and 7 track recordings this way, using the Yamaha. Another thing to consider is the medium of storage. Digital recorders typically need a hard drive, zip drive, etc. --- some device that may add to the cost. You have to factor in everything, and cassettes or very inexpensive and usually pretty reliable. Despite what people always argue, if you kinow whay you're doing, you can make good recordings using only a cassette 4-track with a good stereo mix-down deck.

Sorry for my typos in the previous post --- but I think you'll understand my main points! I also wanted to comment on microphones: I would recommend (if you can afford it at all) getting a condenser microphone. The Shure mics mentioned above are OK, but condensers are just plain better --- period. If you shop around, you can probably get a condenser used, or discounted. I'd get one that you can run on batteries (Condensers have to be powered, often requiring "phantom power" provided by mixing boards -- but many can run on batteries instead.).

The main four things you need to make good recordings are:

1) Good instrument(s)
2) A decent multi-track
3) A good stereo mix-down deck
4) A good microphone

Skimping on any one of these will result in poorer recordings. Factor all of this into your purchasing plans!

About the mic question.... PPatrick makes a good point about a good condenser mic, but you have to have a good quiet place with the proper ambience to make the most of a con~mic. I live less than 2 miles from a huge airport and have to fight jet noise while I'm recording. They're very sensitive. Having both (condenser and dynamic) would be the best scenario, but I see that you're worried about cost. You might want to check into used equipment to get more for your money. Bands break up all the time and dump equipment real cheap, or you might get a nice unit from someone who just wants to up-grade. Hunt around, you never know... you might get lucky.

well thanks for all your help guys. I should tell you that I've now bought the Yamaha MT4X. I got a very good deal on a Behringer XM2000s mike with it but maybe I'll have to invest in a SM57 at later date. Unfortunately I can't use my four track till Christmas because my Mum paid for half of it and so it's a Christmas present! :-(

Oh shit.... I just realized this is 24 years old.:facepalm:

I missed the OP date and was thinking.... "my god dude -are you insane?"

Back