Help me pick an acoustic-electric guitar (600 usd top)

TobiasFunke

Hey. I've been reading the forums for quite some time, then dropped everything related to making or playing music for med school. Long story short is I graduated and visiting New York. I want to get me an acoustic-electric but, since I've never owned one (always one electrics), I'm quite lost.

Here's what I have in mind
- 600 usd at most
- Cutaway
- Looking for a sort of "crispy" sound, closer to an electric guitar than to an acoustic one. I guess this is mostly achieve by metal strings and not nylon ones, but I guess there's gotta be more to This son may serve as an example:

I did do some research of my own, and came across these, but I just can't quite tell the differences or if there is one standing out more than the rest as I don't really know much about materials and whatnot:

Yamaha A1M Acoustic Electric Guitar | SamAsh
http://www.samash.com/acoustic-elec...-gt-qi---acoustic-electric-guitar-s034208xx-p
Takamine GD93CE-NAT Acoustic-Electric Guitar | SamAsh
Yamaha FSX730C Acoustic-Electric Guitar | SamAsh

As a side note, is there a whole lotta difference in sound/resonance between these 2 body shapes?:

Yamaha A1M Acoustic Electric Guitar | SamAsh
http://www.samash.com/acoustic-electric-guitars/yamaha-ac1m-acoustic-electric-guitar-yac1mxxxx

Martin DCX1e should be at the top of your list. I have had mine for about 5 years now. Love it. I'll go to guitar center and pick up the $3000 Martins and Taylors and still come back to the lowly ol DCX1. If you ain't a purist snob, then you'll get past the fact that it is HPL construction. I think that is what gives it its nice full sound and stays affordable.

and because it is made in mexico, I don't call it a Martin, I call it a Marteen. lol (Okay, stupid joke)

I've got a made in Mexico Martin Ellipse. I've no idea what they cost new 'cos I got it 2nd hand for £500.

I don't tend to try out a lot of acoustic guitars when I go to shops as I am mainly an electric player - but this is the nicest acoustic I have ever played on.

Back