headphone choice help

leonardopete

hello

i want to buy a new headphone for mixing, i have found those models:

1. beyer dt100
2. beyer dt150
3. direct sound ex-25
4. sony mdr7506

what is your opinion about those cans? can you suggest me other models?

cheers

Hi,
Have you no alternative? Headphones are never ideal for mixing.
Tracking and editing, sure, but for critical decisions we really need to hear the proper natural stereo image. You don't get that with headphones.

Also worth noting, the Sonys are very commonly faked. I don't know anything about 'direct sound' but Beyers are much safer, in terms of counterfeits.

I'm totally with Steenamaroo -- Cans are nice for editing and zeroing in on the odd anomaly here and there, etc.

That all said - If I were looking for good headphones without spending a fortune (although they're not exactly cheap either), they'd probably say Grado on them somewhere...

Particularly I don't bother too much with the stereo image (ducking now and protecting my head from thrown rocks!). For me the main problem on mixing with cans is that even the worst mix you do will sound good on'em! Unfortunately what will sound good on headphones won't necessarily sound good on speakers... :( Not a problem if 99% of your audience is going to be headphone listeners though - LoL.

:D

What I get si some people can do it fine. But theres this big thing, where with monitors the ears here both speakers and all this cross feed stuff is going on and in headphone land its pure L&R....just something to realize.

Back