Head Scratching Fostex r8 Problem

FishTalksPhish

Hey ya'll been on this forum many times but had to create an account because I'm at such a loss.

I've been using a Fostex R8 to record for about 5 years now and it's been great. Occasionally it breaks down but nothing I haven't been able to fix until recently. I sat down to record the other day to the machine starting and then stopping. Everything seems to work fine but the machine will stop after the counter reaches 2 seconds. After a bit of messing around I found out that it is the counter causing the problem.

The Fostex R8 uses one of the tension rollers as a counter. However many times that wheel spins counts the seconds of tape. When I took this wheel off, the machine works as it should except for counting.

I'm at a total loss as to what is causing this. I've cleaned the count sensor as well as the inside of the wheel to no success. As far as I can tell theres nothing out of place mechanically on the inside of this machine (decently confident in this as I've had to fix something every two months for the past five years). I'm wondering if anyone has encountered a problem like this on any kind of reel to reel.

It has to be something with the count sensor or the computer on the machine, thinking about buying a new count sensor to see if that fixes anything. Not quite ready to part with this machine.

Back