Having a problem with Presonus Firestudio Project, hangs up when recording

jealousblues

Having a problem with Presonus Firestudio Project, hangs up when recording
Ok, we are trying to record clips of our band live with this

anyway we were trying to test it at home running keyboard lines to it (4, but weve had the same problem with 8 or 1 or whatever).

Whenever we try to record anything with it, it records for a few seconds (usually 2-12) and then it stops recording. then the bar continues (but it does not resume recording).

My brother called presonus and they talked for a long time. They directed him through the set up and made sure everything was done correctly. It still hung up while recording, they could offer no suggestions of what could be wrong and thought it might be the computer.

he had a slow hard drive on the computer, so he replaced it with one that had a write speed of 7200, and its still having the same problem.

Here are the computers specs:

toshiba satellite
Windows Vista
dual core 2 processor
2 gig ram
7200 write speed.

we are using the cubase LE4 that came with the firestudio project.

anyone have a similar problem or have any tips or suggestion?

Thank you

p.s. Im not sure if this is the correct forum, sorry if ive posted it in the wrong place.
Just let me know where its supposed to go and Ill delete and re post.

hm

i might be totally wrong and ur problem could be much bigger than this but when u open up cubase and go to record is there a highlighted section if there is thats wat happened to me it would record for the bit thats highlighted then keep playing but stop recording check that out.

edit: reread ur post and pretty much realized how much of a fool i just made myself look haha

Last edited:
I had the exact same problems that you've got going on - Unfortunately, I was never able to figure out what the issue was. I did quite a bit of reading over at the Presonus forum: http://forums.presonus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37

It seems like this is a problem that's plagued quite a few Firestudio Project users. Most are able to trace the problem back to their firewire card...I guess the Firestudio Project is kind of particular about what cards it will work with.

Personally I couldn't get the Firestudio to work on my system no matter what I did - including changing firewire cards. Amazingly enough every OTHER firewire interface I've used has worked fine on my system (P4 Sony desktop, Win XP SP2) - MOTU, Echo and Edirol installed fine and work with no problems.

Wish that I could help more - do some digging at the Presonus forum and see if you can get some answers.

Good Luck!

additional specs

I had the same issue with my 2 daisy changed Firestudio Projects on a Windows 7 64 bit machine 3.2GHZ duo core 4 (3.5) GB of RAM, 7200 1TB SATA HD. I could record all 16 channels with no problems for about thirty seconds and then it would just drop out, but the transport time would still be advancing. After checking all my manufacturer recommended settings I got creative. I dropped the video resolution setting I was on as well as the color depth. I would suggest dropping it to the minimum requirements of the recording software you have and, if that solves your issue, test it again each time you increase the settings to see how much it can handle or until it is at a resolution you can live with.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, you just replyed to a 5-1/2 year old thread. Hopefully the OP found a solution by now.

Back