Hard drive spinning like crazy.

qrs

Mac g5 2.0ghz
4gig ram
160g hd. OSX Tiger 10.4.11
MOTU DP 4.6

Everytime I start recording, my harddrive spins like crazy. It's not spinning at all times....maybe every 3-5 mins or so and it's pretty loud. It doesn't affect my recordings or anything and nothing is slowing down....it's just that the HD is so loud. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advanced.:D

It's not spinning at all times....maybe every 3-5 mins or so and it's pretty loud.
Has it always done this or is this a recent issue?

If it's a recent issue, I'd seriously consider backing up the data at the very least. Also, if you haven't defragmented the drive for a while, defragment and see if the loud noise goes away. BTW, can you describe the noise? Is it more of a whirr or kinda like crakly khkhkhkh kinda sound? If it's khkhkhkh kinda sound, it's likely the sound of the head thrashing around due to severe fragmentation. If it's a whir, then there is an issue with a spindle bearing or drying lubrican. If the loud noise is recent, and it's more of the khkhkh sound that goes away after defragmentation, I wouldn't worry about it to much. However if it's been going on for a while, or if it's more of a whir, then I'd say purchase a new drive and transfer everything over before it's too late.

Has it always done this or is this a recent issue?

If it's a recent issue, I'd seriously consider backing up the data at the very least. Also, if you haven't defragmented the drive for a while, defragment and see if the loud noise goes away. BTW, can you describe the noise? Is it more of a whirr or kinda like crakly khkhkhkh kinda sound? If it's khkhkhkh kinda sound, it's likely the sound of the head thrashing around due to severe fragmentation. If it's a whir, then there is an issue with a spindle bearing or drying lubrican. If the loud noise is recent, and it's more of the khkhkh sound that goes away after defragmentation, I wouldn't worry about it to much. However if it's been going on for a while, or if it's more of a whir, then I'd say purchase a new drive and transfer everything over before it's too late.

Thanks guys. Yeah it's a whirly sound...no khkhkh. But it's only been happening recently. I'll try defragmenting it tonight....and hopefully it helps. I'll probrably just get another HD anyways.

Back