guitar tone in O Lucky Man by Alan Price ???

If I were to guess, I'd say start with a guitar with a PAF style bridge humbucker, go into an amp with a 10" speaker, keep the preamp gain mild and the power amp volume reasonable. I doubt that the video/movie has much to do with the actual instruments being used, but the guitarist in the video was using a Gibson-ish semi-hollow single cutaway with 2 humbuckers and an Orange amplifier head. I wouldn't argue that this setup would generate a tone similar to the audio track. It's very dry sounding, no reverb or ambience to it. You might even be able to get close to that tone by going direct into a console or interface with a little bit of tape saturation effect on it.

That tone weirdly sounds like my Boss HM-2... although I think it might be broken.

If I were to guess, I'd say start with a guitar with a PAF style bridge humbucker, go into an amp with a 10" speaker, keep the preamp gain mild and the power amp volume reasonable. I doubt that the video/movie has much to do with the actual instruments being used, but the guitarist in the video was using a Gibson-ish semi-hollow single cutaway with 2 humbuckers and an Orange amplifier head. I wouldn't argue that this setup would generate a tone similar to the audio track. It's very dry sounding, no reverb or ambience to it. You might even be able to get close to that tone by going direct into a console or interface with a little bit of tape saturation effect on it.

That tone weirdly sounds like my Boss HM-2... although I think it might be broken.

Thanks a lot, Tadpui and JDOD for your replies!!! I sort of can get an approximate sound with my Fender Super Champ XD, second channel, second voice (which is supposed to be Tweed Bassman?), playing my Hofner Colorama II solid guitar, with P-90 pickups. But my ears are not so good ))) Just wanted to know others' expertly opinion. Probably, as Tabpui mentioned, some hollow body would sound better.

Back