guitar question

Okay, I know in my answer to Eric187, with the bass guitar I told him to check out some catalogs--they have some good prices. But in reality, it is imposible to ignore feel and playability. I bought a Fender Strat 14 years ago. It was a standard from Japan (still can find them, but most Standards are now from US (bucks) and Mexico (killer sound, less bucks)). I had tried Les Pauls, SGs, owned a Hondo Les Paul copy (good for stretching excercises) and a Electra/Westone similar to the Trevor Rabin model--good guitar but no "bite." After trying guitar after guitar I stumbled across my present axe, played it 20 minutes and "knew" I had THE guitar. 14 years later, it is still my main guitar. I have costomized the pickups (Red, Silver and Blue Fender/Lace Sensors from bridge to neck) in order to make it better for recording and thrown on a new switch for US wiring configurations. Otherwise, why fix perfection. I thought I would never find another guitar like it--until I stumbled across a Fender '90 Custom Tele. 20 minutes of playing sold me. Both guitars were $450, though I have done $300 of custom work on the strat and will eventually put in Fenders new noiseless pickups on the Tele, another $150. But I found THE guitars and have made them SOUND better--they have always played great. Just an aside, I play rock/blues styles, whether doing pop music of yesteryear or writng my own stuff--these guitars compliment those styles. Other styles may mean different types of guitar--that needs to be considered to an extent. My advice, don't worry too much about cost, good guitars, even new, can be had for $300-500. Just save your money and play every guitar you can get your hands on. When you find it--and YOU WILL KNOW--buy it. Also, find a local shop in your area where you like and trust the salespeople AND owner. Get to know them--A good saleperson is worth paying their commission (within reason). They can give you info about a particular instrument that may be invaluable. And if guitar shopping is tough, wait until you start looking for an amp (the louder is not better syndrome--groan).

Peace, Jim

Back