Guitar harmony effects ?

wuzzo

668- the neighbour of the beast
Hello,
I'm looking for an external effect which will produce an instantaneous harmony to my guitar lead phrases. I've listened to a few boxes on the Thomann site and most of them sound like you're playing with a reluctant robot. A choice of intervals would be good, as would more than one voice.
Any suggestions ?

the digitech whammy has the option of intervals and using the expression pedal, you can control the intervals according to the harmony say 3 or b3 or 6 and b6 etc... but the harmony does sometimes sound artificial

I think that Eventide is near the top of the heap for generating harmonies. They make a stomp-box sized harmonizer, though it's still pretty pricey.

And yeah, that Digitech Whammy is the more budget-friendly choice. There are some cool effects to be had out of that unit, I've wanted one for a while now.

the digitech whammy has the option of intervals and using the expression pedal, you can control the intervals according to the harmony say 3 or b3 or 6 and b6 etc... but the harmony does sometimes sound artificial

Thanks for that, but you're right- the harmony does sometimes sound artificial. So much so that I couldn't get any serious usage out of it. I'm coming round to thinking that I'd be better off looping some purer harmonies and playing over those. There's another piece of Digitech kit that looks like it can handle that very well;
Digitech JamMan Stereo - Thomann UK
It might do until an accurate, toneful and affordable harmony hardware turns up.

I think that Eventide is near the top of the heap for generating harmonies. They make a stomp-box sized harmonizer, though it's still pretty pricey.

And yeah, that Digitech Whammy is the more budget-friendly choice. There are some cool effects to be had out of that unit, I've wanted one for a while now.

I looked at the Eventide harmonizer, Tadpui, but there weren't any ' harmonizing ' samples to hear so I can't judge it;
Eventide H9 Harmonizer - Thomann UK
Of the sound samples that are included there's nothing there that I couldn't get out of my little Roland GR20. Judgment is reserved though, thanks.

That's impressive, Btyre2013, and I believe that the Digitech looper has multi-channels so that you can actually have a change of key someplace. This Eventide probably does, although the player doesn't demonstrate it.
Loopers look like a lot of work though, requiring a great deal of concentration. I really need a simple piece of kit which provides a choice of harmonies- in real time- to whatever I'm playing.

That's impressive, Btyre2013, and I believe that the Digitech looper has multi-channels so that you can actually have a change of key someplace. This Eventide probably does, although the player doesn't demonstrate it.
Loopers look like a lot of work though, requiring a great deal of concentration. I really need a simple piece of kit which provides a choice of harmonies- in real time- to whatever I'm playing.

the eventide does exactly that, I just showed you a good creative example, the only downside to the pitchfactor is that it does loads of other things that you might not need or use, but the quality of the pitch tracking is second to none.

the eventide does exactly that, I just showed you a good creative example, the only downside to the pitchfactor is that it does loads of other things that you might not need or use, but the quality of the pitch tracking is second to none.

Thanks for that. Can you direct me to a good online harmony demonstration ? The Thomann demonstrator ranges between the Christmas chorus fairy and a rhythmic duck;
Eventide PitchFactor - Thomann UK

Not that that's the fault of the pedal, of course, so I'd really like to hear its harmony facilities in action.

Back