Green amps?

Greg_L

Banned
My buddy just got this:

Pretty cool huh? It appears to be and was sold as a visually customized Orange TH30. Everything about it sounds Orange. Sounds fantastic through his Vintage 30 4x12.

But then there's this:
GREEN Amp GREEN ELECTRICAMP Trademark Tube Amps and Speaker Cabs for Guitar and Bass

Look at the specs on those things! 180 watts? Awesome. These were supposedly started by the old Matamp guys. I'm wondering if my buddies "Green" is a customized Orange, or an actual Green.

Funny with all the nice low power tube amps that have come out in the last few years, and the reality that working at lower volumes is much more practical, my hormones and subconscious have pushed me for bigger louder amps, even thought the neighbors and the soundguys (and my aging back) hate me for it. When I was just starting out, I used to get crushed by the other guitar player who had a 100 watt Hiwatt full stack (and me with my wimpy 50 watt JCM 800 half stack). The ear damage and the longing were permanent, I guess.

I just traded away a TH100 (for an OR100). The faceplate was a little different from in terms of knobs, and I think it was the same as the TH30. If the fourth knob from the right, despite being big, is (or was) actually a bass control for the clean channel (and the little one next to it on the right is a treble control) then I suppose it could be the same.

the knobs on the TH100 were, left to right, IIRC: Volume for dirty channel, "Shape" for dirty channel (really (overly, imo) simplified EQ basically applying a mid scoop as you cranked it), Gain for the dirty channel, Bass for the clean channel, Treble for the clean channel, Volume/Gain for the clean channel.

Yes that's all correct. This "Green" has different knobs, but the layout is pure TH30...as far as I can tell.

And yes, bigger louder amps are just better. Always were, always will be! :D

Yes, they were made at Matamp in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, U.K. During the 90s. I was pretty friendly with the guy whose brainchild it was - a Mr Geoff Lewis, a great British eccentric. :D One of the guys in my band had a "Green" half-stack and the bassplayer had his rackmount head installed in a "Green" case and used "Green" speakers.

Proper nostalgia!

Back