Great River Me Amp and Blue ribbon mic Vs my present sound

kellen101

<a href="http://yourlisten.com/kay2tha/aye-miss" id="yl17335020">Music podcasts - Podcast Hosting - Aye Miss</a><script src="http://yourlisten.com/embed.js?17335020" type="text/javascript" async></script>

Looking to purchase new gear because my Preamp is going in and out meaning my Mic keeps coming on and off . I currently have a Focusrite voicemaster pro and Digital Reference Dr cx1 Mic recording with Adobe Audition . I record just vocals and just rap n rnb. Heres a sample of my sound now, this was laid tonight just a rough to show u.

What kind of sound different can I expect with a GR amp and Ksm32 Mic??? Good choice or does anyone recommend anything else under $1500?

By 'going in and out' what do you mean?

I presume you mean the signal is cutting off but the pre-amp is staying switched on?
It might seem like a very basic question but have you checked your mic cable? I can't listen to the track right now, but I will later.

For rap vocals you might consider a dynamic mic as an option - but as a general feeling I'd say that dropping $1500 on new kit is not going to improve your sound that much if you only do the exact same things with it. Your preamp is not top of the range but definitely not bad.

Yeah for now I would focus on the mic - your recording has some sizzle that kind of hurts my ears and I think that could be improved with a better mic. I know nothing about rap but I agree a good dynamic mic would likely do the trick.

If you have to replace the pre because it's broken (definitely check the cable first - and maybe the issue is with your current mic) you could certainly do worse than a Great River - I use a MP2-NV and I love it. But I think a new mic is the 'low hanging fruit' here

No it's not the Mic that's cutting in and out. My preamp has had this issue for awhile now, I also have the Focustite Scarlett and the signal stays on No issue. I just love using the Voicemaster because of the Vintage Harmonics.

But since the amp does have an issue it's to be replaced and I thought Great River was the Go to for vocals. If dynamics is the way to go with a Mic would u recommend pairing the Sm7 with it ?

If you have another interface that works properly, I don't think buying another pre-amp is going to give you a massive improvement in sound - more colour is nice but it can be done in software.

The pre-amps in the scarlett are actually pretty decent, if a little clean sounding. I'd probably say you'd probably get more mileage (and certainly more control) from using colourful processing during the production stage - it's likely going to have more effect on your final mixdown than which preamp you use.

Buying preamps is nice, having new toys is nice, but I'd warn against thinking they are actually a good deal in terms of money spent beyond a certain point, especially for home/non pro stuff.

I've tried out 4 or 5 preamps since I started recording n several mics. My Voicemaster paired with the Rode K2 was my best setup. I could definitely tell the difference between amps and mics. The Scarlett does nothing for me when recording, clean Yes, but I just don't feel it no matter what I add to it ya know. BUT I do have a cheap Mic connected to it soo a new Mic would be the way to go.

Well, you seem to have thought about it so I won't attempt to discourage you.

I do a lot of work through a scarlett and I've never had a problem getting a good flavour using signal processing after the recording stage, I guess it depends what you're going for really, but I've found that running it through some decent saturation/compression/eq plugins makes more of a difference than when I use some of my other preamps (bought them before I realised I could do the same thing in software, they're nice but a bit situational).

Back