Glyn John's Technique for recording drums

Of course there are phase issues with any mics that aren't equidistant from it's source. The mics being the same distance from the snare means the snare will be centered if you pan the two overheads equally. Everything else will be off. That's also gonna give the kit it's width and stereo image when those overheads are panned out. You can't have everything in phase on a drum kit.

Of course there are phase issues with any mics that aren't equidistant from it's source. The mics being the same distance from the snare means the snare will be centered if you pan the two overheads equally. Everything else will be off. That's also gonna give the kit it's width and stereo image when those overheads are panned out. You can't have everything in phase on a drum kit.

Do people ever close mic everything on a kit? Would that lose the sound of the kit as a whole?

Do people ever close mic everything on a kit? Would that lose the sound of the kit as a whole?

I close mic everything, and use regular stereo overheads.

If you ONLY used close mics it would probably sound pretty bad. You'd be relying on bleed for your cymbals and that aint a good thing.

I close mic everything, and use regular stereo overheads.

If you ONLY used close mics it would probably sound pretty bad. You'd be relying on bleed for your cymbals and that aint a good thing.

So you wouldn't close mic a cymbal? I guess they move quite a lot.

So you wouldn't close mic a cymbal? I guess they move quite a lot.

No, I wouldn't close mic a cymbal. But I have mic'd hi-hats for other people because they've asked for it. I personally never mic my own hats for my own stuff because I get all the hi-hat I could ever need in the overheads. I use big ol Bonham style Paiste hats, so they're loud. But some people want more control on the hats, so they can be mic'd without much problem. I've never mic'd a crash cymbal, and maybe I've mic'd a ride, but can't remember. Generally just overheads get all of the cymbals and a true representation of the kit. Spot mics on the drums bolster what the overheads get.

Mostly spaced pair.

That's what I went to about 6 months ago, too.

I wanted the overheads further from my kit, and I couldn't do it with Recorder or Glyn. I have a cloud over my drums, so that mic pointing down at the snare had to go below it, which didn't let me raise it as high as I would have liked. I get much better separation with a spaced pair.

I know this thread is about the Glyn Johns setup, and it's great for minimalists that want their drums to sound like they were recorded in 1970, but it's really hard to beat a simple ol spaced pair done correctly.

Back