Glastonbury 2023 - brand names covered up?

rob aylestone

I've watched a few of the televised acts on this years Glastonbury and noticed something a little odd.

Things like SM58s with the little recess where the Shure label goes empty. At first I figured it had probably just fell off, but then on another stage, the same thing. Just watching the pyramid stage and another brand mic with a sticker over the top of the brand name. I've never noticed this before on TV? I wonder if it's some odd product placement ban?

I see names on amps, drums and keys are not hidden.

This SM58-looking mic doesn't look like a Shure product to me. The rings at the center and bottom of the ball appear smooth - unlike the actual Shure model. Maybe they just went with a bunch of Chinese clones..?

a.jpg

Last edited:
I've seen that done on guitar headstocks a lot. However, the brand name on a microphone is so incredibly small that other than a very tight shot, there's no way you could read anything.

Looking at that mic, it would appear to be a beta 58 but the blue ring around the windscreen looks wrong. A genuine Shure would have silver on the edge of the ring with a blue center. That looks to be all blue.

Maybe they went to cheap knock-off mics to cover the dreaded "mic drop".

Looking at that mic, it would appear to be a beta 58 but the blue ring around the windscreen looks wrong. A genuine Shure would have silver on the edge of the ring with a blue center. That looks to be all blue.

Well damn! I think you’re right. I pulled out my beta 58 and the blue trim looks almost like it’s a thin blue O ring. And the silver is plainly visible on both sides.

The one pictured earlier in the thread looks like it has the blue painted on.

I was struck by Yusuf/Cat Stevens stage piano. I tried to work out what it was, but the logos all seemed to be covered up.
I watched Deborah Harry, Chrissie Hynde, a bit of Rick Astley.
Had to keep switching channels to see the good acts.

Lots of visible names, lots of covered up ones? Makes you wonder if they were offered placement for a fee, but anyone who refused got covered.

I've seen that done on guitar headstocks a lot. However, the brand name on a microphone is so incredibly small that other than a very tight shot, there's no way you could read anything.

I see now that mic shown is very similar to the Beta 58. I wonder what that 3/4-inch grey band in the middle is.. tape maybe? I can spot what could be the edge of a label just below the ball.

Of course the BBC aren't supposed to allow advertising so they always used to cover up manufacturers logos but I certainly noticed a very large Roland logo during the short time I was watching Glastonbury this year.

I can’t say for certain but the hinged flap of the lid has the lid in a strange position, as if the hinge was further away from the player than is normal? He was clearly reading some of the lyrics early on in the set, but there was no visible monitor in that direction I could see in any shots, just that oddly discoloured patch, and I can’t imagine Yamaha using lacquer prone to discolouring in just a few hours.

I've seen concerts where what looked like stage monitors actually held video monitors that scrolled the lyrics for the songs. I remember some artist saying something like "I've written hundreds of songs, and it's hard to remember ALL of them". There should be no problem with that.

The vocalist of a local band has a tablet with their whole song list, and he could tap the screen and it displayed the lyrics. The tablet is on a holder on his mic stand. Who hasn't been playing a song and the brain suddenly goes blank.... You don't need to read the lyrics, but just jog the memory as to which verse comes next.

Here's another angle. Got something going on at the left end of the keys.. doesn't look much like lyrics. Songlist..?

a.jpg

b.jpg

And a Twitter shot from over Paul McCartney's shoulder :

c.jpg

Speaking of Paul. . . this is the first pic of him I've ever seen where I actually thought it might not be him. Blew me away.

d.jpg

Last edited:
I've watched a few of the televised acts on this years Glastonbury and noticed something a little odd.

Things like SM58s with the little recess where the Shure label goes empty. At first I figured it had probably just fell off, but then on another stage, the same thing. Just watching the pyramid stage and another brand mic with a sticker over the top of the brand name. I've never noticed this before on TV? I wonder if it's some odd product placement ban?
The Audio FOH are just marking them for placement.

Not Glastonbury, but there seems to be non-stop music on TV tonight.
Blondie, Manic Street Preachers, Texas, and currently Sparks.
Could be a late night.
To get back on topic, I just noticed the sparks piano playing brother is playing a Roland piano.
One double take later, I see it actually says 'Ronald'.

I think the BBC have largely given up on the daft steps they used to take to hide brands. There is so much of it now on snooker, tennis and footy it would be a labour of Hercules!

I DO notice on shows like "Trucking Hell" that a great many of the vehicles, both wreckers and stranded, have names blurred out. Can't all be obscenities? I think it is the commercial stations not wanting to to give free advertising!

As for "cheapo mics" With things like the very acceptable Behringer XM8500 costing $25 RETAIL you can see how the savings can mount up? If Shure want the exposure I dare say the riggers would be happy to 'show and tell' for a score or two of free SM58s?

Dave.

Back