Ginseng Sullivan - mandolin + guitar

keith.rogers

It's been a while, but I'm still poking around on this mandolin thing. And, here's a mix from earlier in the week, when my friend stopped by and we tried out a few songs for an open mic the next evening. This is an old Norman Blake tune, with just mandolin and guitar (the primary focus), and me croaking out some resemblance of a melody....

(This is a single take, recorded into my Zoom F8n. Soyuz 013 FET mics on guitar and mandolin, Beyerdynamic M201 on vocal, though, TBH, most of the mandolin is also coming in that mic. Mixed in Logic Pro.)

Thanks. Yeah, I might have dialed in a bit too much reverb, if that’s what you’re saying. And I did pan things a little harder because of (or trying to compensate for) the bleed. Maybe would have been better to lean toward more mono?

Sounds great to me. A good crisp sound sitting in a nice space.
It's our family room, and I just set up with the Zoom F8n and a few mics. It can sound good, so long as we don't get any airplanes overhead or lawn equipment buzzing away. Much more comfortable than my 11'x11' mixing/music *upstairs* room when it's 99°F outside for months and the AC is laboring to keep it below 80... (We were probably 6' apart, but still lots of bleed, of course.

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 6.57.17 PM.jpg

Back