Getting a Good Distortion Tone with Guitar Rig 5

AshX

I've been using Guitar Rig for a couple songs exclusively and while I've had no problems coming up with smooth clean tones getting a good distortion tone for metal/rock has been somewhat difficult. It's real easy to get noisy, bassy, guitar tones but getting a nice crisp modern metal/rock tone seems to be difficult. I've been able to come close with some EQ, but nowhere near what I'm looking for and I have to overdub tons of parts to get it to really stand out.

I was just curious if those of you who used Guitar Rig (or other guitar simulator programs) have had any luck coming up with some good distortion tones and could offer any advice on what amp and effects to start with.

For the record, I'm using an ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe with EMG 81 pickups.

Last edited:
Put up a sample clip of what you're getting. I bet you need less gain, more mids.

Here's an instrumental rough clip of a song I'm re-recording. Distortion guitars kick in at 1:02.

My main issues are the lack of clarity, power, and the bassiness of the palm muted sections. I don't want to lose the notes in the palm muted sections, though, which is what seems to happen when I get rid of the bass.

It might not work 100% for guitar but i've used Guitar rig for bass distortion and I had similar problems. I used parallel distortion to overcome the clarity issue.

I kept the clean recording and then had a separate track running distortion at a low gain. With minor EQing (removing bass, adding mid and treble to my desired taste), I had the clarity and crisp distortion balanced against the clean recording to make it sound like one complete track.

Back