fuzz pedal adds massive feedback to bass

tc4b

Yeah I been drinkin, SO!?
I have a Kala U-Bass, a little hollow body with rubber strings. I bought an ehx big muff pi for it, but my rig is feeding back terribly when it's engaged. The only solution I've found so far is to play at very low volumes, which is definitely a long term fix. Any insights? Thanks.

What kind of pickups are on that bass?

Hollow bodies are bad about feedback at high volume and/or high gain, so that is your first issue.

If it actually has rubber strings, I'm assuming you havr a piezo pickup, which makes matters worse.

Basically, you have the wrong bass for a fuzz tone. You could try filling the bass with cotton balls, which is what I think Ted Nugent did when he was playing Gibson Birdlands on the 70's. It might help.

But if this is something that you need for a song or two, it might be worth getting a cheap solid body bass for the fuzz stuff.

What happens if you hold your hand on the strings to keep them muted? Does the feedback stop? If so, you may just need to adapt your string muting technique to play with a fuzz pedal in the mix.

Back