From The Start (Laufey cover) - mix feedback

TechWhisperer

Hello, I'm looking for feed back on my mix. Been doing this as a hobby for awhile. My daughter developed a love for singing over the pandemic.

I'm always trying to improve my technique.

Listen to From The Start (Laufey Cover) by TechWhisperer on #SoundCloud

The guitar sounds nice. I didn't care for the delay. If it were me, I'd put a different guitar part on the right.

The bass is nice - holding down the low end without being obtrusive.

The vocal is bit boxy and dryer than everything else. Some of the phrasing (particularly early in the song) seem a little odd. Some of the falsetto's are a little tentative. After about the mid-point in the song, the vocal sounds more confident.

Drums, like the bass - sounds nice, does it's job, and stays out of the way.

I like the piano part on the right.

This grew on me as it played. I agree with 3M, the vocal got better as the song went along.

The mix is a little too in your face for me. Maybe back off the limiter a bit and give it some air. Particularly in this genre. Vocal could use maybe just a tad more reverb.

Catchy.

Cool song ! I agree with Everything that's been said. Honestly.. I would just have her re-sing the first half. Listening to the song that played afterwards , it's apparent that she has the chops to pull this one off a little nicer. Enjoyed it .. mark

I implemented the recommend changes, but will have to wait on re-recording, as my daughter has a cold right now. The original link above has the revised version. Thank you all for your advice and opinions!

Cool song ! I agree with Everything that's been said. Honestly.. I would just have her re-sing the first half. Listening to the song that played afterwards , it's apparent that she has the chops to pull this one off a little nicer. Enjoyed it .. mark
Were you referring to Beautiful Stranger?

Yes , that was the song. I went back and listened again. There seems to be some nice improvement in the lastest mix. I failed to mention in my first responce how good the guitar playing was , and it sounded even better this time around. I love playing Maj 7th type chord patterns.
Don't know how you feel about it .. but melodyne is a Very useful tool for minor pitch coorection. (once you learn how to not overuse it). I use it on Every vocal track , and it's especially useful on bass guitar (if you aren't using a vst). Enjoyed the listen again.. mark

Back